spc
uniqs
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to Gigabyte2004

to Gigabyte2004

Re: Cat5/Cat6...... Phone/DSL install

You will not see a drastic improvement, but the cost is not much of a difference. Go for CAT6 at least you will reduce a tiny bit of latency. If you want to not upgrade for decades go for CAT7 I think it can handle 10Gbps.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Go for CAT6 at least you will reduce a tiny bit of latency.

How's that?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

Category 6 cable, commonly referred to as Cat 6, is a cable standard for Gigabit Ethernet and other network physical layers that is backward compatible with the Category 5/5e and Category 3 cable standards. Compared with Cat 5 and Cat 5e, Cat 6 features more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise. The cable standard provides performance of up to 250 MHz and is suitable for 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet), 1000BASE-T/1000BASE-TX (Gigabit Ethernet) and 10GBASE-T (10-Gigabit Ethernet).

Whereas Category 6 cable has a reduced maximum length when used for 10GBASE-T; Category 6a cable, or Augmented Category 6, is characterized to 500 MHz and has improved alien crosstalk characteristics, allowing 10GBASE-T to be run for the same distance as previous protocols.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

You will not see a drastic improvement, but the cost is not much of a difference. Go for CAT6 at least you will reduce a tiny bit of latency. If you want to not upgrade for decades go for CAT7 I think it can handle 10Gbps.

How is that going to be accomplished? Remember the limiting factor is the POTS for DSL service to the house.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
I'm quite aware of what Cat6 is, thank you very much. I've even installed a few feet in my time. Please explain how it will decrease latency.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

CAT6e can handle more bandwidth and travels at a higher MHZ band.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo

said by brianiscool:

Bandwidth has nothing to do with latency.
Frequency, while affecting latency, isn't going to change just because you use Cat6 (And even then you wouldn't even get 0.0000001ms reduction in latency for 100 feet run).

I can have a 1000000 BAZILLION gigabyte connection and have 5 hours latency.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

And what is the source of this 10 Gbbs? What does bandwidth have to do with Latency?