share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to EGeezer

Re: Ohio Secretary of State installs "experimental" vo

Ohio uses electronic voting machines? Gee, we went back to paper ballot and a black ink pen this year. I voted a week ago in person (best thing Hawaii has done is heavily promote early voting).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
Hmm, and HI isn't even in play. I wonder why they went back to paper.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

2 edits
Oh, we are VERY MUCH in the picture! The results of our US Senate race may decide the future of the USA as this race could decide which party is in control of the US Senate. It is a once in a generation race. It has been extremely nasty with BIG Mainland interests invading our state with a lot of lies and VICIOUS campaigning. The US Chamber of Commerce is one of the greatest offenders. (I am sick of the nasty ads that constantly on TV. In all the years I have lived in Hawaii (40 years), I have never seen this level of viciousness in campaigning).

I don't know if the entire state is using paper. The Hawaii County Clerk who handles elections on the Big Island has been involved in an ongoing elections scandal and the State of Hawaii took over the handling of the general election voting and absentee voting (bad name as anyone can vote early not just those absent on elections day) on this island because of the scandal.

To add insult to injury, our ballots were messed up and it was too late to print more for early voting when the error was discovered and I think even elections day voting will not have correct ballots. By law, the candidates for each race are supposed to be listed ALPHABETICALLY. Instead Romney is listed FIRST and Obama is at the very bottom of the list.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Mele20

Ban Electronic voting

If hackers can get into the Department of Defense, Heartland Payment Systems, South Carolina tax returns, etc. we can expect the same with electronic voting, especially with the amount of unregulated money flowing into the political process.

Hard copy ballots are much more resistant to interference.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to Mele20

Re: Ohio Secretary of State installs "experimental" vo

We used ballots and black pen here in SoCal, too. It took two ballots for all the individual offices and ballot initiatives.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.