spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lolfios

@optonline.net
reply to tkatz77

Re: Wow have people lost perspective in our modern world!

And yet I've known people who have had FIOS out for more than two weeks after lat years storm when many other people had their Cablevision service back in in hours. There's so many factors in a major storm.

tkatz77

join:2011-01-24
Yorktown Heights, NY
said by lolfios :

And yet I've known people who have had FIOS out for more than two weeks after lat years storm when many other people had their Cablevision service back in in hours. There's so many factors in a major storm.

Agreed. I can only go based on my observations in my area. We used to have cable during long outages, but not any more. I can't completely say whether or not there was a physical problem (cut line, etc..) or not but for my area the fact for the last year has been that the cable service goes up and down with the power, and fios service persists throughout. I spoke to a few others in my area who switched in the past year and they have nothing but good things to say. Since I telecommute for an internet based company its more convenient for me to have service then not, so thats a heavy factor in my decision.

Of course, I could get the new service installed next week and then it will go out for the first time in the area… that would follow my usual luck

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
Some background in engineering - and real world experience combined: Cable suffers from power outages... But if the cable is cut you rarely need to 'worry' on a per customer base (unless you have an above ground drop)... On Fibre if it get's cut you got to make sure your strand is fixed properly... Over time the customer effort to get an outage fixed on cable is lower compared to FIOS (including time of calling in the outage, needing to stay home etc...)
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---