uniqs
share rss forum feed

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

Bugs in my garage

My new house has a finished garage with a large fluorescent light ballast that is activated by a motion sensor. When opening the garage door at night, bugs fly into the garage and stick to the drywall until they eventually die. It's only been a few months now but I'm already finding a few nasty looking spots on the drywall because of this.

I've found a few "plug in" type insect traps on the Home Depot site (»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···Id=10051) but I'm not sure if one or two of these will do the job. I'm aware that using "bug lights" on exterior lights will keep them away (I'm working on this once I complete some lighting upgrades) but I think this problem will persist as long as the bright lights are on inside the garage.

What do you guys think? Is there a better solution?
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
Bug lights either attract them and kill them, or are lights that do not attract bugs (so you can have light, but no bug swarm around it).

If the garage door is opened only for a few seconds or a minute, then the trick is to not have bugs hanging out near the garage.

I had a similar problem with my entrance door. Bugs would swarm around our porch lights, and when we'd open the door, they'd jump right in.

What I did is keep the porch lights closed, but have a couple of lamp posts further out from the door that are turned on. The bugs go hang out at those lamp posts, so when we open the door, the bugs don't jump in.

TL;DR: Place exterior lights far away from the garage door, the bugs will hang out there instead of jumping right to your garage.

ANOTHER trick: If you have a window in your garage, you can keep it open all the time, with no bug screen. When morning comes, the bugs will exit through that window because of the sun light.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to removed
"bugs fly into the garage and stick to the drywall until they eventually die. "
Why are they sticking to the drywall?

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

ANOTHER trick: If you have a window in your garage, you can keep it open all the time, with no bug screen. When morning comes, the bugs will exit through that window because of the sun light.

Before the put a garage door on our garage, it would be open all the time. Bugs, esp mosquitos, like to rest in there during the day. I hated going in there for any length of time as the squardons of skeeters would come alive. Once, bees started to make a hive in the garage. After the garage door was installed and I screened off the 'windows' I have very few bugs in there. Though I do have a toad living in there but he likes eating any of the beetles that make their way in.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to removed
Fluorescent lights emit UV light. Bugs are attracted by UV light. You do the math.
Bug lights don't attract or repel the bugs, they only output a yellowish light that humans see but bugs don't - so using them outside will have no effect when the fluorescent lights are on.
Your best bet is not having the lights on when the doors are open - maybe put some yellow light at the openers and turn the fluorescents on when the doors are closed.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

After the garage door was installed and I screened off the 'windows' I have very few bugs in there.

The trick I mentionned is only to "repair" the damage done.
As in, if you do get a lot of bugs in your garage and you want to get them out, leave the window open until the morning. Most of the bugs will have left the garage. It's not a solution to preventing the bugs from getting in.

As Cowboyro said, having no lights in the garage is best.

Lamp posts near the garage door, outside, will give enough light to see in the garage, but the bugs will stay near the lamp posts.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Sorry your first post made it seem that you should leave the window open all the time. Down here most of the bugs will run/fly to the shaded areas to escape the sun and heat.

Having lights away from the garage does help as you mentioned.

better yet, give the bug zappers to your neighbors as presents. The bugs will (hopefully) migrate to their yards.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to removed
During peak bug and spider peak, (May - Oct) we do not turn on lights attached to the house or in the garages. As mentioned, lights away from the area are used.
If you must have a motion light on in the garage, keep the cycle to the minimum and use a small bulb that does not shine out into the yard.
We tried small spot lights illuminating an area, but that even attracted bugs to the illuminated area. If the area hadn't been white, I think it would have attracted less bugs. We changed it up now and will see next year.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
reply to nonymous
said by nonymous:

They stick around the light for a few minutes until the light goes off. They don't have a way to get out of the garage with the door closed.

I was hoping that one of these electric traps would do the trick - might try one or two anyway and return it if I don't get the desired results. Keeping the lights off isn't really an option, though I do plan on replacing the exterior lights with CFLs similar to these:
»www.amazon.com/Sunlite-SL24-Spir···ight+cfl
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by removed:

said by nonymous:

They stick around the light for a few minutes until the light goes off. They don't have a way to get out of the garage with the door closed.

I was hoping that one of these electric traps would do the trick - might try one or two anyway and return it if I don't get the desired results. Keeping the lights off isn't really an option, though I do plan on replacing the exterior lights with CFLs similar to these:
»www.amazon.com/Sunlite-SL24-Spir···ight+cfl

I had the same problem with my front porch light and replaced the bulb with one of those, and it works perfectly. They do not swarm around the light anymore.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
I picked up a "60W Equivalent" CFL bug light at Home Depot tonight and I'm afraid it's not looking good. The light does keep bugs away but the yellow tint doesn't look that great, and the advertised light output is a bit too ambitious. I would need at least two of these bulbs to light up my driveway like my current CFLs do.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
You can buy no UV LED lamps. CFL = UV. I think the "yellow bulb" thing is overblown. They may reduce the bug draw, but not by much. In the summer, I see swarms or bugs around my neighbors yellow post light.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

removed
Premium,VIP
Houston, TX
Can you recommend a specific model? I looked into LED bulbs but came across »www.energycircle.com/blog/2011/0···act-bugs while doing my research.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

1 edit
Just google "no UV led bulb" and they should come up.