kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit

Android support for WoW???

Google is releasing an Android based laptop, 2 related tablets and has a billion or so Android smartphones. Does anyone know if Blizzard has given any thought to implementation of World of Warcraft on the Android platform??

The new Google devices are here - »play.google.com/store/devices ... $249 for an Android notebook (Chromebook?) doesn't seem that bad. Local storage is inadequate for WoW, but it comes with a 100 GB cloud drive.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Perhaps in a couple years. I see a lot of obvious hurdles to implementing this--bandwidth requirements just being one. MMOs are hard on CPUs as well.

This would require something similar to Onlive to pull off. Onlive's demise doesn't bode well for that sort of implementation.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to pandora
said by pandora:

$249 for an Android notebook (Chromebook?) doesn't seem that bad. Local storage is inadequate for WoW, but it comes with a 100 GB cloud drive.

Local RAM is inadequate as well on that model. The 32GB Nexus 10 might be able to pull it off at minimal quality settings.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
reply to pandora
This is a huge technical challenge, because Android is Java-based, and the Mac and PC clients are C++-based. So you'd either need a huge rewrite, or one helluva translation layer. There IS an Android native library, but I think its more of a compatibility tool than a useful feature.

Given that playing a hotkey MMO without a bunch of hotkeys (meaning a keyboard), a tablet version of WoW seems not super useful.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by Nick D:

This is a huge technical challenge, because Android is Java-based, and the Mac and PC clients are C++-based. So you'd either need a huge rewrite, or one helluva translation layer.

Given that playing a hotkey MMO without a bunch of hotkeys (meaning a keyboard), a tablet version of WoW seems not super useful.

The tablets and even cell phones support bluetooth. A keyboard and game mouse could probably be connected. IIRC Android is a Google variant of Linux.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
The kernel is Linux (or linux-like), but its APIs are all Java-based.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to pandora
I use a keyboard at times with my nexus 7. Also, I've read that people have used a usb hub to connect keyboard and mouse to the device. I guess they didn't have a blue tooth keyboard/mouse sitting around the home.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Nick D
There is only one MMO, that I am aware of, that plays on PC, Mac, Linux, and Droid devices. That game is vendetta online »www.vendetta-online.com/

I don't know how the game play is on a droid device however. Though I can't imagine it being all that great. I have found playing FPS on the Ipad and my Nexus 7 to be a pain in the butt. I just can't get the "fine" finger sliding needed.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to pandora
I you want to play WoW on something portable, get a laptop and save your sanity. Now, if you just want chat/AH, there is an existing option.

Frankly, i wouldn't even want to think about playing WoW on a tablet.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 edit
reply to Nick D
said by Nick D:

The kernel is Linux (or linux-like), but its APIs are all Java-based.

I appreciate you bringing this up because the information is interesting to me. I didn't know Android was based on Linux, as pandora See Profile advised, and actually feel a little bit let down to learn this.

However, at least according to Wikipedia, its APIs are written in C:
quote:
Android consists of a kernel based on the Linux kernel 2.6 and Linux Kernel 3.x (Android 4.0 onwards), with middleware, libraries and APIs written in C and application software running on an application framework which includes Java-compatible libraries based on Apache Harmony.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(o···_system)