join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to davidterrano

MVM,

to davidterrano

Re: Using my Optimum modem?

said by davidterrano:

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Did you purchase this modem yourself? Voice modems are usually not sold retail - if you got it from CableVision, they'll be asking for it back soon.

But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered.
said by davidterrano:

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

Any router will work.
said by davidterrano:

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net. But maybe that's because the previous account has been disabled already...

The modem must be registered in TWC's database to fully sync up and allow network access.
said by davidterrano:

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Hacking cable modems is illegal and not discussed here. In many cases, it's also very easy for the cable company to notice (and prosecute you).
davidterrano
join:2012-11-06
Brooklyn, NY

davidterrano

said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Did you purchase this modem yourself? Voice modems are usually not sold retail - if you got it from CableVision, they'll be asking for it back soon.

But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered.

yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate.

Good point about telling them that it's simply another model.
said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

Any router will work.

Super
said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net. But maybe that's because the previous account has been disabled already...

The modem must be registered in TWC's database to fully sync up and allow network access.
said by davidterrano:

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Hacking cable modems is illegal and not discussed here. In many cases, it's also very easy for the cable company to notice (and prosecute you).

gotcha. Thanks for the advice

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate."

I dont believe any cable company sells modems.
Expect a bill for maybe about 100 bucks.

Hob

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to davidterrano

MVM,

to davidterrano
said by davidterrano:

yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate.

Cablevision offers a "free to lease" cable modem. Effectively, the rental fee is built into the base rate.

You'll be buying the modem when they send you a collection notice for unreturned equipment.