how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hawkeye_wx

join:2009-01-07
Cedar Rapids, IA

[IA] Frequent brief internet drops.

I've been having a problem with brief internet drops for a while now. A couple weeks ago it really got bad, going from once or twice a day to several times per hour. Then it suddenly got much better for the last two weeks, only dropping a few times in that period. The last two days it has become bad again. I don't know if the problem is my modem or router or Mediacom. The modem is an old Motorola SB4200 and the router is a reasonably new Netgear(a year old maybe). Earlier today the drop-outs were up to several times per hour so I took my router out of the system and hooked up directly to the modem. For the next couple hours there was improvement, but there were still two drop-outs in that period. Once I hooked up the router again the dropouts became more frequent again. Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? I was hoping it was a problem with Mediacom or my old modem because it would suck to have to shell out more cash for yet another router. Hopefully, the two drops without the router involved suggests it isn't the problem.

dcathome

join:2010-09-24
Marion, IA

Re: [IA] Frequent brief internet drops.
Take your modem to the 6300 Council St office and switch it out. It's on the mothball list as a DOCSIS 1.1 modem and you need a DOCSIS 2 modem.
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···c=9726.0
While there is no official list of modems, any DOCSIS 2.0 modem will work well with our network. Most DOCSIS 3.0 modems, such as the Motorola SB6120 and Cisco DPC3000 and 3825 have no problems. In the past, the Motorola SB6121 has had known firmware incompatibilities that we are unable to remedy, as we have not been provided a firmware build from the manufacturer. More recent builds of the firmware have addressed this, however, so newer units will not have these issues.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
reply to hawkeye_wx

I will be happy to look into this issue for you. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?

Oddmeow

@qwest.net

I have been experiencing this recently as well, thanks for the info regarding modem compatibility. I'll be checking this when I get home from work this morning!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Let me know if you have any other issues!

hawkeye_wx

join:2009-01-07
Cedar Rapids, IA

I was going to go out to Mediacom's office and get one of their modems to see if that fixed my internet interruption(modem reboot) problem, but then the problem started to diminish again. For the last week I have had no issues at all. If my old modem is indeed crapping out, I wonder why the reboots are so inconsistent. A month ago it was bad for a few days, then for a couple weeks there were only a few, then for a few to several days it got bad again(20+ reboots in a 3-day period), and now the issue has gone away again.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Good to hear!

Let me know if it happens again.