uniqs
share rss forum feed

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Bob Anderson

Re: where do I get my winter tired put on?

said by Bob Anderson:

I took my car in for winter tire changeover today. I only have one set of alloy rims because no one makes 18 inch steel rims for winter for my mustang GT and I refuse to go a lesser diameter wheel and thus have to buy another set of 4 winter tires. I store my tires at the Frisby tire shop because I have no storage space at home. I think it costs me about $300 per year for storage, demounting and mounting and balancing for winter and summer changeovers. My tires are very expensive Pirelli P Zero Nero and Hankook Ice Bear.

-Bob

Question, what year is your Mustang? I ask because Fusion rims from 2005 to 2012 will fit those MY Mustangs (I know this b/c I have Mustang rims for summer tires on my 2008 Fusion )

NefCanuck

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

2010 Mustang GT. I'd buy a set of 18 inch steel rims for winter if I could find them but I have searched numerous times with no luck. They would have to be the proper width also; I won't go narrower. I hate the look of smaller diameter rims that most other GT owners put on for winter. And contrary to popular belief salt has no effect on the alloys. I used alloy rims for 8 winters on my previous 2001 GT and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my current 2010.

-Bob

Hap

@umontreal.ca

said by Bob Anderson:

2010 Mustang GT. I'd buy a set of 18 inch steel rims for winter if I could find them but I have searched numerous times with no luck. They would have to be the proper width also; I won't go narrower. I hate the look of smaller diameter rims that most other GT owners put on for winter. And contrary to popular belief salt has no effect on the alloys. I used alloy rims for 8 winters on my previous 2001 GT and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my current 2010.

-Bob

Did you try Costco for steel rims?

»www.costco.ca/Steel-Wheels.produ···256.html

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Bob Anderson

said by Bob Anderson:

-Bob

Hrm, I know the Fusions had 18" alloys as an option, though I'm not 100% sure as to the width. I know the Mustang Bullits I'm using on my Fusion are 17 x 8 and they fit fine, but I'm not 100% sure if the Fusion 18's are 7.5 or 8. The 18's were available on the Fusion SAP 1st gen and the Fusion 2nd gen (all models) and you might be able to find a used set now for winter use.

Good luck.

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Bob Anderson

said by Bob Anderson:

And contrary to popular belief salt has no effect on the alloys. I used alloy rims for 8 winters on my previous 2001 GT and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my current 2010.

-Bob

that depends on what the wheels are made of...aluminum alloys rims certainly can get "salt cancer"...my previous Ford Taurus had it, to the point a couple of the wheels had slow rim leaks because of it.

personally, i just prefer steelies in the winter...if i rub up against a curb and ruin one, it's $35 instead of $100-$200 for an alloy rim.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by dirtyjeffer:

that depends on what the wheels are made of...

And whether they have a clear coat.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer:

that depends on what the wheels are made of...

And whether they have a clear coat.

yes...it seems more of today's rims are coated to help prevent salt cancer.