uniqs
share rss forum feed

aegyssus

join:2012-11-06
Canada

1 edit

MF668A stays on EDGE/green mode

Hi,
Can anyone please tell what's the latest version of software that Rogers uses for ZTE MF668?
My modem stick does not want go more than EDGE. It works fine on EDGE as I get full signal but the speed is far from 3G.
I am in Montreal and have no problem getting 3G on my phone & tablet with the same SIM card. But the stick never locks on HSPA, it always stays green.
Rogers website gives the latest B04 software but not the B06 as was mentioned on a Rogers forum.
Thanks for any suggestion!

GM85
Click, Click

join:2002-07-02
London, ON

Re: MF668 stays on EDGE/green mode

The software I have installed on my laptop was B06. Now, if I remember correctly, I downloaded the software from the Rogers site. I checked the link again on the Rogers Site and it did say B04... However, I don't know if the desktop software is the problem since I've installed the B04 software on my other laptop without issue.

Under the Settings-Network Page on the Rogers Connection Manager, do you have it set to automatic or manual?

I don't think I've seen a time where mine has dropped to EDGE yet.

aegyssus

Canada
Hi Gramzster,
I feel really lucky to find you.
There is indeed a radio button with automatic & manual options. When in manual mode, it will search like forever and will end up by listing Rogers with some sort of a blue symbol which I do not understand. If I select Rogers in that list and click "Select" button, it will show a generic error.
If I put it in automatic mode, it will connect and work fine and it will go in EDGE mode (GPRS rarely) but never, never in HSPA.
The thing is I bought this MF668A from China and it's branded YOIGO (a Spanish cell provider, I guess). Obviously Rogers does not support it.
It comes with firmware version BD_MF668AV1.0.0B04. I tried to downgrade it to BD_ROGERMF668V1.0.2B03 but the upgrade software refused that saying that the version is not matched.
I have hard time to understand how come every 3G Chinese tablet and phone that I tried could connect in 3G with no issue, but not this stick which is supposed to support all the frequencies.
Is there any software that could upgrade its firmware?
Many thanks!

GM85
Click, Click

London, ON
reply to aegyssus
I took a look around, obviously I don't know if there is a definitive answer. I saw you mentioned the 1.0.2B03 software, I'm assuming you found that at »wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/Canada/ , selecting MF668 (Rogers) and downloading the 1-click upgrade tool?

I did some searching and ended up ZTE Denmark site - »wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/Denmark/ - The interesting thing is they have 2 models listed - the MF668 and the MF668A - I wonder what the difference is between the two and whether it is the reason why 3G is not working with Rogers / NA market.

You could download the MF668A firmware and give that a shot. I bet the reason why the firmware upgrade didn't work is that the MF668 and MF668A are two different models. Note: I noticed the MF668A firmware tool was compressed with 7-zip, so you will probably need to download a copy of that (it's free).

aegyssus

Canada

Re: MF668A stays on EDGE/green mode

Your point is valid: I'll try that firmware.
Sorry for the confusion, I mentioned the name I first saw when I bought the card but the exact model is MF668A. So, no confusion about that... I also changed the title of the thread.

I downloaded BD_ROGERMF668V1.0.2B03 firmware right from the location you pointed first (for Canada) but as I mentioned, it does not work... Not to say that only works on Mac OS.

I'll try the Danish firmware and report back, at least it's PC software... Crossing my fingers.

aegyssus

Canada
... and it did not work.

I really do not see why this card would not go upper than EDGE. I have a strong feeling I am heading to nowhere with this device.

GM85
Click, Click

London, ON
reply to aegyssus
If I had a guess, it might be that the card is configured to only check certain frequencies. HSPA can operate on different frequencies. For Instance, Rogers uses 850/1900mhz, whereas that denmark ISP that sells the MF668A operates on 2100mhz. The 668A supports all the frequencies, but I wonder if there is a lock on the device.

This is getting a little bit beyond my scope of knowledge, but there are a few diagnostic commands you can try (I tested it out with my MF668). If you look in Device Manager, there should be 2 COM ports associated with the device: a ZTE Diagnostic Interface and a ZTE NEMA Device.

I used PuTTY and was able to connect to the serial port associated with the ZTE NEMA device (on my computer: COM7 and baud rate 115200).

After I opened the window, I typed ate to enable echoing back of commands. you will not see any response when you enter this command in

You can type a few commands, such as ati to check the model info and at+csq to check the signal stregnth.

I found an interesting command called AT+COPS? that will indicate the preferred network for the device and if it can roam. This should return something like this:
+COPS: 0,0,"CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.",2
The important part is the 0,0 which indicates if the device is allowed to roam.

I was referencing this PDF: »download.maritex.com.pl/pdfs/wi/AT%20ZTE.pdf - although it is used for a different model, many of the commands are compatible. I was hoping to see if I could find a command that could indicate the frequencies the device is allowed to scan.

In any case, I guess you have to decide if it's worth the time. This is as much info as I could find, but of course it might be easier to take a look on kijiji for a second hand rocket stick.

aegyssus

Canada

4 edits
Hi Gramzster,
Your finding is very interesting... because I see a different response than what you got:

AT+COPS?
+COPS: 0,0,"CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.",0
OK

So the question would be what's that last parameter...? The documentation that you indicated only says:
stat:
0 unknown
2 current register network
3 forbid register network

But is it about roaming? Does it mean that there is something wrong with my SIM card that ROGERS operators could fix...?

I remember that when I used various software (such as Join Air of ZTE), I was seeing a big R showed before ROGERS and it was saying on hover that I am roaming and I even got a message about how much attention I have to pay because I am on roaming.

But could roaming limit the speed of my connection?

Again, using your extremely useful doc, I can see:

AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,5

Where 5 means "5:Registered, roaming." as opposed to "1:Registered to local network;"
Why would it say that I am in roaming mode when I actually am at home, in Montreal...?

Is this caused by my 3G modem card or the SIM or my ROGERS account?

One more thing, can you please tell what your card returns when you type this:

AT+ZSNT=0,0,0
OK
AT+ZBANDI=0
OK

### here please wait for your card to get connected and turn blue (or green as in my case) ###

AT+COPS=?
### this is what I get: ###
+COPS: (1,"CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.","ROGERS","302720",0),

OK

Thanks a lot for your help!