how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

switching neutral vs hot

so i bought this new switch with a pilot light on it, and the instructions state you should hook it up to basically put the neutral on the switched side of the circuit. i am not an electrician, but i thought you always should switch the hot leg of the circuit. perhaps one of the sparkys can chime in on this? i have included a link to the product and a pic of the diagram on the instructions.

the existing switch (regular without pilot light) is switched through the hot.

»www.cooperindustries.com/content···294.html

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
The hot and leg from the light are not connected. Hot is where it comes into the switch and neutral is on opposite side with it apparently being jumpered to the switch neutral. I think the diagram is correct but you assessment that the neutral is switched is not.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to mr_slick
The neutral isn't switched.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to robbin
As robbin See Profile correctly states the diagram you produced shows hot being switched.

The upper half of the device is an ordinary light switch. The bottom half of the device is the pilot light.

The pilot light can be wired parallel with the switch (lights up when switch is in the "Off" position) or it can be wired parallel with the load (lights up when the switch is in the "On" position).

Your drawing shows the pilot light wired parallel with the load.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA
reply to mr_slick
i stand corrected. i do not know how i read that wrong at first. i guess because the one labeled neutral was connected to both sides of the switch... but i see now looking at it that the top left one with the tab would be the other side of the hot (black wire) going to the light/load.

never mind.

hopefully i dont burn my house down with another brain fart

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA
reply to mr_slick
so i will just pig-tail the neutral and ground to the corresponding right side terminals and wire the hot like a normal switch, coming in on the top right, going to the light on the left.

that makes much more sense than what i first thought the diagram showed.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to mr_slick
The light on the switch needs a neutral to work, so yes it needs a pigtail, assuming the light is fed at the box and not from the light (like an older house may be).

--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com