Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ
reply to kickass69

Re: Hurricane Sandy-Frankenstorm Outages/Issues/Updates

Just an FYI. I saw a Cablevision tech parked on the side of the road in Hopatcong, NJ babysitting a generator that was powering one of their HFC nodes. Apparently Cablevision has someone positioned by the generator (looked to be a 3kW Honda inverter-style [ultra-quiet and fuel efficient]) 24 hours a day.

Wow, that is costly but I guess the alternative is risk theft. Seems like there should be a more cost effective solution.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY

The gen's up here are left alone (chained to the pole) - not sure if that correlates to the crime stats...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

The Cablevision tech did mention they had some stolen in the October 2011 snow storm. Perhaps they should have invested in a heavier chain!

When does the cost of having a tech babysit the generator exceed the capital cost of the asset? I think a 3kW Honda (Eu3000is) is about $2000.

In the grand scheme of things not a big deal.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY

I would hope that stealing one of these is treated as an attack to core infrastructure e.g. terrorism...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

My "not a big deal" comment was related to having someone guard the generator and not to the act of stealing one.

Yes, having serious penalties might help act as a deterrent.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

CV doesn't put generators our here. They just wait for the power to go back on.

Verizon does - with a big chain.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

said by jaa:

CV doesn't put generators our here. They just wait for the power to go back on.

Verizon does - with a big chain.

Not universally true. Was your post was an attempt at humor or were you stating in your area you do not believe generators are used to power Optical Nodes?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to rtbond

If someone has to babysit the generator, it would be a lot cheaper to run a simple inverter off the van's 12V battery.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

news 12 long island went black after my power went nuts for a sec (voltage jumped up to 140vac quickly and back to normal).
what the hell ?
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to rtbond

Well damn, I started this topic and never put my story in so here it goes. My power went out at 8:37 AM Monday morning...Between 7 and 11 PM that night 3 oak trees...one of them a century old went down on my property of course taking out utility/cable lines. I finally got back home Saturday Evening from my week and a half stay in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania (NJ was sold out). I didn't get electric/cable service back until Thursday Night with cable service returning Friday Night.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Bob4

Now there's a CV truck babysitting a generator around the clock across the street from where I work. I'm not sure why, as power came back several days ago. Perhaps the drop to CV's power supply isn't working.