Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to dolphins

Re: [hard drive] CDM tests have me worried...

Give this tweak a try.
--
KI6RIT

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
To expand on n_w95482 See Profile's advice, you should probably read this MSDN article completely before making use of the /3GB flag:

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···%29.aspx

Otherwise, this subject should be discussed in the Microsoft forum. You should expect responses such as "WTF why are you running XP? Run 64-bit 7 already and be done with this".

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
said by koitsu:

Otherwise, this subject should be discussed in the Microsoft forum. You should expect responses such as "WTF why are you running XP? Run 64-bit 7 already and be done with this".

Or... why are you running Photoshop on a single core processor?

It's nice and all that XP can fit into a quarter gig of ram, but when 8 GB of DDR3 is only $35, upgrading to a newer machine with four cores, a massive amount of ram, and Windows 7 becomes a compelling argument.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to koitsu
Thank you both, I have read up on the 3GB switch but am hesitant to modify my boot.ini after borking my MBR not so long ago. As it turns out, I don't get along with Windows all that well.

On the up side, I haven't been able to reproduce the lag since first posting this thread.

And no, I won't be starting a new thread in the MS forum but thanks for the advice. In my reopening of this thread, my intentions were to serve as a reference only.

Thanks again.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok
Thank you but the limitations of my motherboard makes it not worth upgrading this machine.

As for the rest of your comments, I will keep them in mind when I speak to Santa Claus next month.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to dolphins
You could make a backup copy of boot.ini as boot.bak or whatever, try the change, and delete the messed up one/rename the backup via recovery console or a Linux live CD if something happens.
--
KI6RIT