Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbchris2nd
Joke Factory

join:2010-09-03
Australia

Bathroom tiles alternative

I don't know if this possible but I'd give a shot.

I live on a flat and I don't like the bathroom tiles. Removing the old tiles and replacing it with a new one will cost me too much. Can I use any alternative replacement that don't need to remove the old tiles? Like put something on top of the tiles?

TIA
--
Be brave even if you're not. Pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I wouldn't.
Bathrooms are subjected to splashes. Water would get under whatever you slap on top of the tiles.
If you're handy you can DIY. You may be looking at under $200 total plus elbow grease if you find some nice cheap tiles and the bathroom isn't too big. Despite the popular belief I found laying tiles to be extremely easy if you can be consistent.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to bbchris2nd

A bathroom rug. Anything else is asking for problems.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to bbchris2nd

Which tiles are you talking about - floor? Wall? Tub/shower area?

There is tile paint, and reglazing services that can change the colour of the tiles without tearing them up and replacing...

The paint's not real durable (I've seen if hold up OK on walls, but not so much on floors) - the reglazing, from what I understand, is pretty much as tough as the original finish, but I have no idea what the costs are like...

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Yeah, look into field reglazing. The finish is durable and as long as the tiles themselves are in good shape, you should be able to get the finish you want.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to LazMan

I've posted pics before in other threads here about the professional reglazing of tubs in my house. It ran less than $300 (that's USD, since the OP appears to be from Australia). I did the tub reglazing in conjunction with new tile walls. But reglazing ceramic tiles is something that can be done. Though not directly relevant to the OP but useful for getting ideas on what can be done, the website of the company that did the work in my home is: »www.uniquerefinishers.com/ If the OP can find a similar service company where they live, then it could be an option.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

bbchris2nd
Joke Factory

join:2010-09-03
Australia
reply to bbchris2nd

Hi,

Thanks for the response guys.

Sorry for the lack of info but I'm referring to the wall tiles. Tiles are in good condition. I'll check if I can get a tile paint or maybe a reglazing service.

I really appreciate your comments.
--
Be brave even if you're not. Pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.

Expand your moderator at work