cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall

Re: Two cable modem connections one coax run

said by Nightfall:

Wow, thanks for the picture. I see some older modems in there. A couple DOCSIS 1 3com sharkfin modems. You don't retire out older modems? Just curious.

The goal of this specific lab configuration is to emulate what's actually out in the field. Believe it or not, there are a decent number of customers who refuse to upgrade their old modems because "they still work". This forces us to test every firmware version of every modem in the field against different CMTS configurations before they're pushed into production.
/on a side note, that's one of the reasons that it takes so long to get modem firmware updates to the field. Testing testing testing, and more testing.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
said by cablegeek01:

said by Nightfall:

Wow, thanks for the picture. I see some older modems in there. A couple DOCSIS 1 3com sharkfin modems. You don't retire out older modems? Just curious.

The goal of this specific lab configuration is to emulate what's actually out in the field. Believe it or not, there are a decent number of customers who refuse to upgrade their old modems because "they still work". This forces us to test every firmware version of every modem in the field against different CMTS configurations before they're pushed into production.
/on a side note, that's one of the reasons that it takes so long to get modem firmware updates to the field. Testing testing testing, and more testing.

Damn man, nice info. Thanks!
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
My pleasure. I work with HFC / DOCSIS systems for a living, so if anyone has any cable questions, feel free to drop me an IM and I'll be happy to try and help.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to cablegeek01

Believe it or not, there are a decent number of customers who refuse to upgrade their old modems because "they still work".

Until you stop providing DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 profiles for them, they will "still work." Pull those profiles (and repurpose the QAMs they "waste"), they'll stop working, and upgrade.

(I don't know if TWC has pulled the old profiles, but they did demand everyone replace the SB4100 many years ago. I'm always surprised when anyone says they're using one.)