spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

[FireFox] firefox 16 and youtube

Lately I have not been able to view most of the recently uploaded videos on youtube. and example of one that doesn't work for me:

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···rnrkZ91E

i have tried clearing cookies, turning off and/or disabling ABP and flashblock, and nothing seems to get them to run. when i open the same pages in IE, they run fine, so it shouldn't be any issues with the version of java, flash, or anything else installed on my system. i do have an older version of java installed - the USPTO site doesn't work with java 7, so I can't update that, but unless FF 16.0.2 disables java content when the install base is pre-java 7, that shouldn't be an issue.

i seem to remember there being a possible problem with html 5 and FF16x. And, maybe all the recently uploaded videos are html 5. is that the problem i'm experiencing?

any help will be appreciated. i'm running FF16, 32bit, on WIN764bit, and the flash and java versions i'm running are 64 bit. i've also installed silverlight, and that's 64bit too. FF plugins says that everything is working, but that java should be updated (which isn't going to happen). i have additional extensions installed, but nothing else that selectively blocks content. if there are no suggestions, i'll try converting my FF install to 64bit to see if that's the source of the problem.

thank you!
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
I tested your link using Fx v16.0.2 and have noscript & APB installed.
Latest flash installed. Flash video starts and plays fine.

For Noscript in my whitelist I have listed for YouTube:

youtube.com
yming.com

My ABP filters are easylist & easyprivacy plus a couple of Fanboy's filters.
-----------------
You say you have Fx v16 installed yet the latest is v16.0.2

Running: Win7 Pro 64bit w/ Fx v16.0.2 32bit
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to jig
Video plays fine here with FF 16.0.2, ABP, Flash 11.4.402.287 running in protected mode in Win 7 Pro 64bit. It is playing the video in HTML5 as I am in the HTML5 trial which you can turn on or off here: »www.youtube.com/html5

When it's playing the video in HTML5 mode it's not even using Flash to play it so that's something you might check.

jig

Hacienda Heights, CA
that might be it. i'll try when i have access to that comp tomorrow.

new strange thing at home on my winxp ff16.0.2 (all my ff installs are on 16.0.2, i just shorthand to 16). on google image search, none of the images expand when i mouse over them. works fine in chrome on that computer (and works fine at work).

bleaugh.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Grail Knight
said by Grail Knight:

For Noscript in my whitelist I have listed for YouTube:

youtube.com
yming.com

Shouldn't that second whitelisted link for YouTube be ytimg.com?

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Not that I am aware of.

I do whitelist ytimg.com when on yahoos home and news pages but have not found it to be required for youtube. Only the two I listed apply to youtube on my Fx install.
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jig
jig, are you trying to play the videos in "full screen"? i have an issue with viewing videos in "full screen" if "hardware acceleration" isn't disabled, in flash player's settings..

to adjust the "flash player" settings, rightclick on the video and select "settings".. then you can disable "hardware acceleration"..

you may also need to disable "hardware acceleration" in firefox's settings, on the "advanced"/"general" tab..

these are settings that i use on my "old" computer.. maybe, with newer computers, using "hardware acceleration" is not a problem..

incidentally, i use "flash player 10", not "flash player 11".. lots of people have had issues with using "flash player 11" with "firefox".. personally, i have never tried using "flash player 11"..

jig

Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to jig
i seem to have fixed it through some combination of installing updated flash, clearing cache, and rebooting. also, the google image thing seems to be a setting thing - switched accounts and it works fine.

thanks all
--