spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Northwest60
@sbcglobal.net

Northwest60

Anon

[TWC] Lakers Basketball takeover

Its a shame TWC manipulated the Lakers into going their way. It leaves a whole bunch of dedicated Lakers Fans out in the cold, and forced to watch the Clippers if they want to watch Basketball. I myself live in an apt.complex that subscribes to satellite tv, so I have no alternative then to watch the lowly Clippers. Its a shame TWC cant share the Laker feed with others but I guess thats the greed in TWC showing through. Next thing you know they'll be renaming Staples Center- Time Warner Cable Arena. For all us ex-Laker fans who have been turned away, thanks a zillion TWC. Who you gonna destroy next.
Expand your moderator at work
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to Northwest60

Premium Member

to Northwest60

Re: [TWC] Lakers Basketball takeover

Time Warner is not keeping their new regional sports network form anyone. Fellow cable companies Cox and Charter are offering the channel, and Time Warner made agreements with their telco competition, as both Verizon Fios and AT&T U-Verse subscribers in Laker territory also have the channel. There’s nothing wrong with TW creating their own regional sports network, and to have it be the home of the most predominate NBA franchise, in the #2 media market in the country. It was an excellent move and hopefully they can steal the rights to the Dodgers as well. If Dish (and you know they’ll never carry this channel) and DirecTV don’t want to come to terms with Time Warner over their new RSN, than that is their loss and they are hurting their subscribers who live in the LA market. If the satellite providers want this channel, then they need to pony up the cash or face a loss of subscribers.

And fun fact of the day, there is already a Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, where the Bobcats play. So if TW bought the naming rights it would be the Time Warner Center or the Time Warner Forum. Taking a page from AA. American Airlines Center, home of the Dallas Mavericks and Stars and American Airlines Arena home of the Miami Heat.

And Go Clippers! (Not that I’m big into basketball but, the Clippers did spend the first 8 years of their existence here in Buffalo)

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up to Northwest60

to Northwest60
I like how you blame TWC for the Laker's decision. The Lakers could have stayed with Fox Sports West if they had wanted to, but they didn't.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Northwest60

Anon

to Northwest60
Yeah, Lakers were hardly tricked into the deal. They just went with whomever gave them the best deal. Almost every other team would do the same thing. Whether you believe or not, EVERYBODY (including Time Warner, Lakers, and the NBA) knew that the situation would play out exactly like this where some carriers would not have the channel right away.

In addition, what makes you think the Staples will be renamed to Time Warner Center or whatever? Last I checked, the Lakers are not into giving freebies, especially when there is already a contract in place. Staples paid tons of money to have naming rights. Same thing happened with The Fabulous Forum when Buss sold the naming rights to Great Western Bank.

It is not as though Time Warner does not want to share the feed. Everybody will get the channel...eventually. Right now, the ones who have are not the main competitors of Time Warner. So, Time Warner is probably in no hurry to get the channel onto satellite if TW is getting a large number of new subscribers. Sports fans will justify it since Time Warner also has the Pac-12 Network and the NFL Network.

So when will the satellite guys get Sportsnet? Maybe soon. Maybe after college football season. Maybe after college basketball season. Maybe when there are almost no more switchers from satellite to TW. Or maybe it will be when at least one of the parties feels it is urgent to get a deal done.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

said by btB :

In addition, what makes you think the Staples will be renamed to Time Warner Center or whatever? Last I checked, the Lakers are not into giving freebies, especially when there is already a contract in place.

Not to mention that the Lakers don't own/operate Staples Center, so they can not change it even if they wanted.

Rick4769
@rr.com

Rick4769

Anon

The Lakers games are blacked out in TWC WNY which really makes the channel virtually worthless. Lakers Cheerleaders, old games just doesn't cut it as they are repeated numerous times.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32

Premium Member

Funny how you constantly bash Time Warner over making a ‘worthless channel’ available in Western New York, but yet bellyache about TW not adding FS Carolinas, FS South and FS West, which would have been the same result.

Rick4769
@rr.com

Rick4769

Anon

I enjoy NCAA basketball and some of the best teams are on Fox Sports Carolinas and Fox Sports South. Like I said before, each subscriber has different tastes.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Northwest60

Anon

to Northwest60
Supposedly last week, the Lakers were telling their season tickets holds who subscribed to DirecTV to consider switching to Time Warner to watch the games. Granted things can change quickly in the other direction. If true however, this is not encouraging news for those with DirecTV.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Northwest60

Premium Member

to Northwest60
Lakers aren't doing well this season so far. So, who cares if they suck. :P

Rick4769
@rr.com

Rick4769 to Happydude32

Anon

to Happydude32
Click for full size
I enjoy NCAA basketball and some of the best teams are on Fox Sports Carolinas and Fox Sports South. Like I said before, each subscriber has different tastes. The result would be different since Bobcat and Hawks games like the Lakers games are blacked out. My concern is for the ACC and SEC conference basketball games which those providers carry. Anyway, I paid for something as the card states as a price increase without receiving all the channels.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Northwest60

Anon

to Northwest60
Don't know why I keep posting in this thread because carriage issues happen all the time. It is like taking sides in labor issues. Anyway, it looks like DirecTV has apparently agreed to carry Time Warner Sportsnet.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

I was flipping through the channels last night and did notice the LA Laker streamlined basketball replay was shown.