uniqs

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Immer

to Immer

Re: [Classes] Warlock 5.0.1

Is this a subtle hint? lol

I'm taking those sim DPS results with a huge grain of salt. In real life is it pretty hard to get perfect priority done which would likely be necessary for Affliction to get those numbers.

Right now I like destro as it is much simpler which makes it easier to focus on the fight mechanics.

Couldn't hurt to try Affliction but I would have to stick with it awhile to get the new priority, etc. down well.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

haha, no. Rhenai See Profile asked if there were any guides, and I was surprised to see there were none. Also, I wanted to try out a different approach to editing guide information so that it wouldn't make Tirael See Profile upset. Finally, I'm still hoping for Adalicia See Profile or someone to pick up the warlock guides since I deleted my lock when MoP dropped (just wasn't my thing).

The SimulationCraft numbers are like top speed on a test track used to compare a Ferrari versus Porche. The absolute numbers only really matters if you drive where there are no speed limits... even then... your performance mileage may vary. But that doesn't mean they aren't without merit. Some specs might be slightly better depending on gear scaling... which means to eliminate the affect of BiS gearing, you should load up your gear into a SiM and have it crunch the numbers for your current toon. The results might surprise you.
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast to Goldheart

to Goldheart
I was Demo ever since the start of the game, i swore i would be demo for life or nothing. THEN MoP came out, i abhore, hate, HATE how demo mechanics work, so i broke my own word and switch to destro, i do pretty well with destro its at least fun, wish demo wasnt so twitchy i had almost deleted my lock becuase of how demo is, but i just couldnt do it, my lock has been my "main" for a long time and almost all my achievements have been done by him.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Goldheart

Premium Member

to Goldheart
I like my demonology lock. He's been fun to play for a weeks now, compared to before. I hope they leave them the way they are.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Goldheart

to Goldheart
I'm with you Goldheart, Destro seems much simpler to me as well. I was Destro pre-MOP but when I say the gap in the noxxic stats, I switched over to Aff for MOP. Before long I was switching back and forth between Destro and Aff; I think leveling for me was about the same either way, it was more of a boredom issue with Aff. (plus I like to burn shit)(I love to listen to the sound of the crackle in my head phones as those fire spells heat up). At some point though I was outdoing dps with destro so I never went back to Aff. Now that I'm in the dungeons and raids and there is so much need for AOE, Aff is probably the better choice (though some are holding out for the cataclysm spell in 5.1).

I think if I went Aff for any extended period of time I'd have to switch all my macros over to mouseover macros.

One last thing, one site that I never see mentioned much that I like to use for reference is maxdps.com. It lists out the top 30 or so pieces of gear for each slot and the dps contributed by each. Helps especially when leveling to see whether it is really worth swapping out for that new higher ilvl piece when you just gemmed and enchanted the existing one.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to Jodokast

Premium Member

to Jodokast
I agree with you on the Demonology change. I liked Metamorphosis being a cooldown, instead of switching in and out. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to. I went Destro for now leveling up, perhaps once I hit 90 and dungeons I'll give Demo another shot.

And yeah, I avoided Affliction because of the watching DoTs/timers/cooldowns bit.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by stonhinge:

And yeah, I avoided Affliction because of the watching DoTs/timers/cooldowns bit.

Might this pain be mitigated a bit with some modification of the UI? Perhaps FortXorcist, Gnosis, or even RoguePowerBars (because they track debuffs, bleeds, combo points and dots). Or is afflic still twisty even with a good UI?

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

2 edits

Nick D

Premium Member

Affliction is a Cata Shadow Priest.

Keep up 3 dots
Spam a channel
Use a cast-time spell to keep up a buff on roughly a 6 second CD.

EDIT: its by far the most tricky to micromanage of the 3 specs, in terms of rote rotation (and destro is by far the easiest).

It feels like a flip from Cata where Destro was playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Afflic was Moonlight Sonata.

Or Yngwie Malmsteen vs Billie Joe Armstrong

Or Busta Rhymes vs Linkin Park

I mean, pick your favorite analogy here.

stonhinge
Premium Member
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
If I need an addon specifically for one spec of one class, I pass on that spec. I try and keep my UI ... well, not quite minimalistic, but sparse compared to some.

Now if my main was and had been a warlock, I might consider it. I've been content tanking Cataclysm and MoP so far. Besides, i tend to be the most "active" player outside of raids in my raid, so having a tank with slightly better gear than the rest of the raid is probably a bit better than waiting on a tank to gear up.

I've gone from Rogue > Warrior in vanilla (switched to prot warrior because one of our tanks in MC was flaking out on us. Leveled prot out of apparent sado-masochism.), enh shaman in BC, elemental shaman in Wrath, then prot warrior and prot paladin in 2 Cataclysm raids. I'll probably keep on tanking as things go forward on my monk, but we do have a DK in my current raid who would like to tank, although letting him and out warrior trade off might work out better.

I do understand that some people like classes with the micromanagement, but I'm a person who would prefer either difficult encounters or a difficult (to master) class - not both at once.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

totally understand. Just thought I'd might toss out and idea.

stonhinge
Premium Member
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

True, other people might find it useful.

Lately I've just been using WeakAuras for a few things like shuffle/stagger, and Inquisition/holy power on my paladin. Makes it easier to put the info I feel I need right where I want it. Any time I need to track more than 2 things for myself to be optimum, I start feeling a bit overwhelmed when combined with the chaos that can be a raid boss.