Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

[CallCentric] Free DID is still down, still no announcement

I'd like to point out one thing that may not be immediately obvious to lurkers and causual VoIP users.

CallCentric Free Phone Number service is still down; about 10 days and counting.

• I still haven't received ANY emails about my Free DDI service being down. Searching for emails from CallCentric only returns their various billing notices, the last non-billing letter being from October 17 regarding the DDoS.

• Twitter (arguably CallCentric's official means of contact, as we've all discovered last month) mentions nothing about Free DID being down.

• Website mentions nothing about Free DID being down. (I "forgot" my login; who logins to their web account all the time?)

CallCentric, by means of Iscream See Profile, says that they've learned about the mistakes they made in October, the only one such mistake that they admit to is lack of communication (they argue that lack of power generators and geographic redundancy is not a mistake, but there's already too many pages of discussions in other threads about those two).

How do they solve their lack of communication? They don't; they simply delete ALL of their tweets about ANY services being down during or after Sandy, and call it a day.

I don't know how they expect their customers to continue to trust them. A specific service is completely down for 10 days (and counting), and still not a word uttered proactively! I'm honestly rather disgusted by how they handle this situation.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

2 recommendations

said by ConstantineM:

CallCentric Free Phone Number service is still down; about 10 days and counting.

Be happy. You will receive an automatic 100% refund for the time your Free Phone Number is down.
--
My VoIP News

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

3 edits

3 recommendations

reply to ConstantineM
Poor CallCentric—DSLR’s VoIP forum has become CallCentric’s support and gripe forum (kudos to Iscream See Profile for taking the heat—I hope he’s gotten a raise recently). As for CallCentric deleting their tweets, that’s simply a sign of a company in a tail spin they might not be able to come out of—shame they’ve chosen to remove the public record of their availability and, hence, communicate even less.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

• Website mentions nothing about Free DID being down. (I "forgot" my login; who logins to their web account all the time?)

1) A fellow repeatedly prays to God to help him win the lottery.

God finally answers back, "Give me a break, at least buy a ticket!"

Anyway, for those who do log in:

-Free NY DID Service Alert-

Engineers are aware of issues affecting Free NY DIDs, resulting from Hurricane Sandy flooding of portions of the NY/NJ PSTN infrastructure.

2) From Verizon, our huge POTS company:

Service Emergency for the following states - CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA

The effects of Hurricane Sandy have caused significant damage to Verizon locations and equipment along the East Coast. Many areas have experienced significant flooding due to the hurricane and storm surge. In addition, there are poles and lines down across all Verizon communities affected by this storm. Customers may experience a loss of all services, including FiOS (Voice, Internet and Video), High Speed Internet and Standard Telephone Service. Verizon engineers are currently assessing damage across our East Coast locations. Rest assured that our technicians are working around the clock to restore services as quickly as we can for all customers affected by this storm.

3) From HuffPost:

The water came rushing through the Verizon lobby, crashing against doors, shattering windows and scattering sandbags meant to stop it. Then, it cascaded down the stairs and flooded the underground cable vault, soaking tangled wires that deliver phone and Internet service to customers across the region.

“It was churning like crazy. You can see the line here,” Chris Levendos, Verizon’s executive director of national operations, said Saturday, pointing to a 4-foot-high water mark left on the lobby wall. “It was finding all sorts of ways to get into the building.”

Heavy flooding this week at Verizon’s headquarters in lower Manhattan -- a critical node of its network infrastructure -- has begun to subside, but the company's effort to repair damaged network equipment and restore service to customers after Hurricane Sandy continues.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0···033.html

4) From the Wall Street Journal:

The depth of the challenges facing telecom providers was on display inside Verizon's facilities in lower Manhattan.

Verizon chief technology officer Tony Melone stands amidst efforts to remove water from the company's headquarters in Manhattan.

The company's headquarters—a key communications hub just north of the World Trade Center site at 140 West Street—was in a state of crisis not seen since the 9/11 attacks, which partially destroyed the building.

Mud still covered parts of the ornate lobby. Down below, 3½ floors of the building's five-level basement were still submerged, the brackish water sloshing up the walls of the stairwell.

Verizon employees said Monday night's storm surge was so powerful that it breached the protective plugs that surround cables coming into the building. As a result, water flooded the critical basement "cable vault" that takes in communications cables and directs them to switching gear upstairs, which wasn't damaged. On Wednesday, Verizon employees took a reporter inside the vault, illuminating the huge dark room with flashlights. The cables were still damp, and leaves littered the floor.

»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···386.html

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to ConstantineM

Life is tough when you're all wet....

Oh, and here's a picture of a little part of what is going on at Verizon's complex on West Street....

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Well at lest it looks like they are making progress. Look like high point was just above door knob.

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO
·callwithus
said by dcurrey:

Well at lest it looks like they are making progress. Look like high point was just above door knob.

But the stairs keep going down!

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

2 edits
reply to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

I'd like to point out one thing that may not be immediately obvious to lurkers and causual VoIP users.

And I would to point out again that CallCentric has no control over the damage to the facilities where these POTS lines originate. When Verizon (I presume it's Verizon) gets their COs fixed, these numbers will be working.

After 10 days and counting you still can't grasp the obvious? Or is this just another of your disingenuous attacks against CallCentic? Gee, I wonder.

As far as announcements ... have you logged into your CallCentric account? The first message you will find there is ...

quote:
-Free NY DID Service Alert-

Engineers are aware of issues affecting Free NY DIDs, resulting from Hurricane Sandy flooding of portions of the NY/NJ PSTN infrastructure.
So, what part of this don't you understand?

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Oh, and here's a picture of a little part of what is going on at Verizon's complex on West Street....

They should have been prepared!!! It's inexcusable that CallCentric didn't insure that Verizon didn't insure that their facilities wouldn't be flooded!!! And it was just a semi-mediocre storm that any competent and professional company could have easily avoided with just the tiniest smidgen of preparation! But, Verizon's faults are minor compared to CallCentric's because it was CallCentric's responsibility to insure that Verizon never went down!!!

Sarcasm? Nah ...

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to gbh2o
said by gbh2o:

said by dcurrey:

But the stairs keep going down!

As the news story said:

Down below, 3½ floors of the building's five-level basement were still submerged, the brackish water sloshing up the walls of the stairwell.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to ConstantineM
Yep noticed the one flight of stairs continuing downward. Guess we have a couple more floors to go Wonder how long that is going to take to pump the water out. And if thats salt water how much damage is it going to do?

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

. . . snip . . .

"Sounds like a man with a paper asshole and no fire insurance.
I don't care who you are, that's funny."
- Larry the Cable Guy

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA
reply to ConstantineM
This was a troll post. And you people bit on it. Pretty hard too.

rollerblader7

join:2004-01-11
Burlington, ON
reply to ConstantineM
Working today! hooray!