Search similar:

uniqs
dfs42
join:2012-11-01

dfs42

uTorrent Spyware/Malware

Bunndle.log
5,727 bytes
does anyone have utorrent? I have installed a few times and uninstalled it. Today I ran the installation file and as usual my comodo defense detected that "C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\Bunndle\BunndleOfferManager.dll" must be blocked. Then it tried a clean up and said it failed but I blocked it nonetheless. I checked the log file for this file and I think it was denied access. But I have attached it so you can check. I ran malwarebytes scan the last time and it didn't detect anything.. so what is this and is utorrent unsafe?

btw the utorrent installation file and the client itself are shown as safe.. it just drops this spyware or whatever it is in temp folder.

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT

1 recommendation

Elite

uTorrent has really gone down the tubes. The installer tries to get you to install all sorts of crap nowadays. You're probably fine, just as long as you unchecked all that stuff during installation.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Never saw that dll or anything else .........but I do notice that after closing the program,I actually have to go to the taskmanager and endtask the process as it's still running.

Pretty sneaky.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to dfs42

Premium Member

to dfs42
»[BT] uTorrent Releases

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Definitely.

I'd suggest getting a better client, such as Deluge.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to dfs42

Premium Member

to dfs42
From my logs, when installation process starts, it connects to:
https://services.bunndle.com/ProductServices/FetchAgent
and downloads this DLL:
BunndleOfferManager-FA9CFC79-C715-4B98-ADBD-D8A6C2F1801B.dll
Then it runs it...

In order to prevent that I usually temporary disconnect my computer from the Internet, install uTprrent and close uTorrent. Then I may connect computer back and run uTorrent as normal. BTW, you may block the name services.bunndle.com with local hosts file. I don't think you're going to regret that
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

1 recommendation

clocks11 to dfs42

to dfs42
After installing Win8, and then setting up uTorrent, I noticed all the ads, etc they have added. Upon doing some research I found Deluge, qBitTorrent, and Tixati to be three of the more common alternatives. Anyone have any feedback on them in terms of lightness, ease of use, features, etc...

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

I don't run Win 8 and have not heard issues of Torrent client support for that O/S. That said, many apps are struggling for Win 8 Support.
»SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes= no windows 8 support?
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· t=334626

It is well known that uTorrent has added much bloat over the last number of years, unless you are willing to experiment with other Torrent cleints, an older build of uTorrent would probably work.
See: »Re: uTorrent Spyware/Malware

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to dfs42

to dfs42
From Softpedia:

"Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:

· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (µTorrent Browser Bar) that the program does not require to fully function"

»www.softpedia.com/get/In ··· nt.shtml

(For the few, rare times that I use torrents, I use the old, single file, utorrent.exe v161.490.)

Elite
Kiss My Ass
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to dfs42

to dfs42
Be weary of older versions of uTorrent, as they may be vulnerable to exploitation.

If you wanna hide the ads in the new version, try this trick.

1. Open uTorrent.
2. Click 'Options' then 'Preferences'.
3. Click 'Advanced'.
4. In the 'Filter' box type 'spon' (without quotes), or scroll down til you find 'sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled'.
5. Double click the text so it changes the value to '*false'.
6. Click 'Ok'.
7. Exit and re-launch uTorrent.

uTorrent may persist in task manager for a few seconds (maybe 30 seconds max?) after exiting it. This is normal behavior for uTorrent. I believe it's due to the program closing file handles and open connections.

Enjoy!!

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

said by Elite:

Be weary of older versions of uTorrent, as they may be vulnerable to exploitation.

Like ? Bloat
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

I agree with you. uTorrent becomes more and more bloated. They don't fix old, widely reported problems (and I still see numbers of those in the latest releases). What they do instead, they add more and more "features" somehow benefiting their business. I can't blame them for that, but it makes program bigger and bigger and more dangerous to use...

It becomes like Nero, CD/DVD writing program, that was becoming bigger and bigger over the years. And I'm extremely glad that at some point of time I've recognized that and completely stopped using it. As a result, it saved a lot of my time and computer resources.

I start to see similar tendency with uTorrent too. Not as fast as with Nero, but it's just a beginning... And they start to adhere to the tactic, used by some other software developers, like e.g. Adobe, where each new version creates a new vulnerabilities, that have to be patched soon, making users think that they always must to update to the latest version and do it ASAP. They even don't want to talk about any problems with program, unless you use their latest release. Meanwhile they put new bloat into it...

BTW, the sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled=false option doesn't stop uTorrent from connecting to their tracking servers all the time you launch it... The PeerBlock does.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled=false isn't even in my version..........3.2?

Elite
Kiss My Ass
New Haven, CT

Elite to dfs42

to dfs42
In today's version 3.2.2 Build 28500, the option has been renamed to "offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled". You'll need to set it this value to false if you've previously changed "sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled".

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to dfs42

Premium Member

to dfs42
Click for full size
This is the only offer filter my version has:

Elite
Kiss My Ass
New Haven, CT

Elite

I would ditch that 3.2.1 Beta and go download 3.2.2 Stable off their website.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Why,it works great with no tracking?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX