pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to El Quintron

Re: [Parts Check] CPU/GPU requirements for transcoding video ser

It would be cheaper to just buy a popcorn hour or a WD tv live to be honest. They use like < 10W (way, way less than a PS3) power wise, and no transcoding is required (for the most part).
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by pflog:

It would be cheaper to just buy a popcorn hour or a WD tv live to be honest. They use like < 10W (way, way less than a PS3) power wise, and no transcoding is required (for the most part).

The TV is only here for the Winter so I'm looking to put together a solution rather than buying something else. I have a dual core AMD that's collecting dust so I'm trying to figure out if it'll cut the mustard for the transcoding.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

Personally, I'd just use the old AMD dual core and hook it up to the TV with a $20 Geforce 210 or ATI 5450 and run XBMC on it.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by pflog:

The TV is only here for the Winter so I'm looking to put together a solution rather than buying something else. I have a dual core AMD that's collecting dust so I'm trying to figure out if it'll cut the mustard for the transcoding.

A dual core AMD is going to be quite slow at this. I'm trying to remember if it was 720p or 1080p video, but my old Q9550 quad core Intel Core 2 Quad, using all cores, could barely eek out 20 fps conversion rate. That's less than realtime.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by pflog:

A dual core AMD is going to be quite slow at this. I'm trying to remember if it was 720p or 1080p video, but my old Q9550 quad core Intel Core 2 Quad, using all cores, could barely eek out 20 fps conversion rate. That's less than realtime.

Something to think about...

I had a Q6700 in the previous incarnation of my production rig and I seem to recall the rates being better than that; on ps3media server with Ubuntu, mind you this was 3+ years ago so I don't have any real world examples right now.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Gordo74

said by Gordo74:

Personally, I'd just use the old AMD dual core and hook it up to the TV with a $20 Geforce 210 or ATI 5450 and run XBMC on it.

Agreed. It'll probably not be able to handle much above 480p transcoding.
--
KI6RIT