uniqs
LineNoise
join:2006-06-25
Downers Grove, IL
(Software) pfSense

LineNoise

what in the hell

Why are they only buying the customers?

They're selling the customers and their spectrum, but keeping the network? I don't get it. What are they going to do with all their network assets? Why keep cell sites with no spectrum?

Sprint's network is fucking terrible here in Chicago at the moment... There are going to be some pissed off customers. USCC has some of the most loyal customers in the business. My wife has been with them since PrimeCO in 96... This is just weird.
kem09030
join:2004-11-29
Rushville, IL

kem09030

One big problem for Sprint is going to be the fact that they don't have a network in the areas a lot of the customers reside. I wonder if they have a deal with USCC to host some of the Sprint gear on the towers for a specified length of time. They could come up with a deal that is beneficial to both by pulling them into the network modernization project that Sprint is doing. We will just have to wait for more details to emerge. I have a feeling Sprint is about to move up in the USCC PRL.

I am a Sprint customer in Rushville, IL. I find the service in this area to be about the same as USCC on the main highways. Off the main highways it gets iffy. Once I get north of I80 everything seems to be covered decently. Some of that may be the phone I have which seems to pull signal in better than any other phone they have or had in the last few years (v950). Once Sprint starts deploying 800, signal quality should improve a lot.
LineNoise
join:2006-06-25
Downers Grove, IL
(Software) pfSense

LineNoise

It's a catch 22. Sprint has signal everywhere north of 80, but you can't use it. South of 80 it's absolutely wonderful because there's no customers.

Sprint's network is going to be an RF engineering nightmare for another 5 years while they decom iDEN, deploy 800 voice then 800 LTE.

I wish my BlackBerry easily shows me which band I am using because I would bet that I rarely use 800Mhz in the Chicago Metro area. All the towers are spaced for 1900 around here because of capacity and 800 propagates so well it causes issues... AT&T pulled 800Mhz from all indoor DAS deployments because it was screwing with the outside so badly. They've got a handle on it now, but I would bet that 800 on Sprint becomes dedicated to either voice or LTE over time. Who knows what they'll do in the rural areas. They don't have enough 800 to exclusively deploy voice and date. I can't remember exactly how much they have, but isn't only 5Mhz? I'm searching on the FCC site and it's so slow.

Anyways, I have no idea why a company would sell it's customers and spectrum, and keep the useless equipment. I know they partnered with king street, but they don't even have licenses in Chicago for LTE.

Do you ever get the feeling like you're retarded and everyone else is just playing along? Because that sure is what the wireless industry is acting like these days.