uniqs
share rss forum feed

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to wchill09

Re: [DSL] drop outs, connection interupted....multiple service c

My two cents, for what it's worth-

When I was with ATT working w/ Uverse, we ran into some issues w/ customers being too close to the VRAD/DSLAM called FEXT- Far End Cross-Talk...

Basically the loop didn't have enough distance to properly attenaute which caused a ton of line noise and cross-talk. These issues caused the RG/Modem to bounce and the customer to lose sync on a loop, that by basic copper standards, would be considered perfect.

We "resolved' the issue by adding boxes, in some case as many as 3-4, of IW at the customer prem to help the loop attenaute properly...I left ATT before they came up with a permanent solution...

Granted we were using different tech, VDSL2, but your attenuation and SNR started to make me think..

Are you on ADSL2? Maybe see if they can bump you down to ADSL1..I've seen this sometimes resolve your intermittent sync/FEC problem.

Also, does the problem appear to be cyclical? Like, does it happen the same time everyday, does it happen every 15 minutes, etc? The FEXT issue was horribly regular, you could count on it to be down every 15 to 20 minutes like clockwork. The ADSL2 vs. ADSL1 issue however never has had any real rhyme or reason to it.

Just some ideas..

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I wonder what is causing the drops when on ADSL2+ and I have a feeling I've asked this question a few months ago. It almost sounds like a profile configuration issue if drops are occurring while on an ADSL2+ card but not while on an ADSL card. OP also doesn't seem to be close enough to have Far End interference occur but I'm also not a line tech so I wouldn't know how far out you've seen such issues occur.

Strange. I wonder what the outcome of this issue will be.

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1

The FEXT issue was experienced w/ subs generally within 4k feet or so, on VDSL2 mind you, and the ADSL2 problem seems to have been mostly less than 6.5k feet.

As far as why the ADSL2 anomoly, I really have no idea. I HAVE heard, however, that it has to do with how "hot" the SNR comes to the far-end modem. Most subs, on 3Meg, should be provisioned on an ADSL card as opposed to an ADSL2 that can provide faster sync rates and "louder" SNR values...at least that's the way I understand it, I could very well be wrong..

The OP does indeed appear to be further out than that..

Again, a shot in the dark, no more no less..

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Good to know. Thanks for the info! Never hurts to take a shot in the dark.

wchill09

join:2012-10-15
Onondaga, MI
reply to COjosh

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Just want to say thanks for all of your input. It is appreciated.

Four screen shots, ATM, DSL, and 2 of ADSL , taken when it is working normally. 17 hours runtime.

wchill09

Onondaga, MI

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Screen shots of Pingplotter, ATM, DSL, and 1/2 screen of ADSL at point of dropping connection (Other 1/2 on next message). Connection was down 5 minutes then came back up....

wchill09

Onondaga, MI

Click for full size
Click for full size
2nd half of ADSL screen shot when connection was down, and pingplotter when connection was restored 5 minutes later....