MrBubbaHyde
join:2010-02-25
Shavertown, PA

1 edit

MrBubbaHyde

[DSL] Frontier Speed Issues at My Home

Click for full size
Click for full size
Posted Last year about some speed issues where I live, and Mr. Smith gave me some direction. Well its a year later and I still have crappy speeds, Paying for Max. Haven't been able to watch a decent thing on Netflix since I moved here, and now Gaming for Myself and My Kids is almost unusable.

Any Help or direction would be appreciated...here are my stats...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB030s1.d23a
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3712 448
Margin (dB) 30.1 30.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 15.5 8.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.1 9.6
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0

Errored Seconds 0
LOS Errors 0

Thanks In Advance
COjosh
join:2011-02-21

COjosh

Those transceiver stats look excellent, I see no issue at all right now. As a matter of fact, you could easily run 7Meg service at those values and even faster.

Your speed test also seems to closely match the provisioned data rates your modem is running at.

When you say "crappy" speeds are you referring to high ping rates, slow browsing, 404 errors, etc?

..or is the problem related to them offering you faster than 3Meg and then not providing the faster speed?
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Yea the main problem is Just the overall speed compared to what im paying for, they keep telling me I cant get anymore, but like you said my statistics say I can, basically I believe I am being cut down, I came from Comcast a year ago and do video work for people from home, so my upload download is killing me in getting work done.

Anything I can say to them to boost my speed/ Supposed to be getting up to 12mbps?
COjosh

COjosh

12M would be on the Bonded DSL plans my man...you may indeed be at the fastest speed your CO can support with it's current equipment.

..and, I feel your pain, I came from a major metro area and found myself plopped down in the sticks with little to no interwebz..and no other options..

I doubt they are personally "throttling" you. They may have an oversold CO/RT where everyone is capped at a max of 3Meg to save bandwidth, or you're on older equipment that just can't support anything over 3Meg..

I wouldn't know what to "say" to get them to upgrade your CO.

EDIT- On your bill, does it actually say "Up to 12M"? Because your modem is DEFINITELY NOT provisioned for that tier of service.
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

On My bill the line says High Speed Internet Max Term.

And yes I was sold up to 12mbps on the call which I thought was more than acceptable, I signed up in October 2011 It used to say 12mbps right on the bill now it doesnt.

I'm just looking for help because it is outrageous to be paying over 100.00 dollars a month for a service that doesnt provide what I was told it would.

I do understand the equipment issues, but for goodness sake I dont even have a N router, still a G

I have 4 Children and once the gaming or surfing commences I would be lucky to be able to even start to stream a movie with these low speeds. I believe my line can handle being provisioned for 7mbps
But I can't seem to get them to even try it, I mean whats the harm if it's unstable put it back!

Thanks for your continuing help.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

4 edits

Smith6612 to MrBubbaHyde

MVM

to MrBubbaHyde
I would try to weed out what sort of equipment you're on and what kind of connectivity your CO has. It's not the easiest thing to do in the world but I was able to determine after some piecing together why my Frontier connection is limited to 3M/384k. While I am out of a remote, it was discovered the DSLAM I come out of is a full blown unit you'd find in a CO and while old, had the capacity to handle higher speeds including support for ADSL2+ line cards (which even surprised me). It also has Fiber running to it but I was not given information on how fast that fiber is running at. My guess is OC3. I've also found out the remote I feed out of has new ADSL2+ and VDSL2 equipment (bonded DSL) ready to be turned up that is also connected to Fiber. But yet, no higher than 3Mbps, even out of the CO itself. Businesses can get 6Mbps without a problem though!

I recently got Verizon to fess up and give the reason why I was also limited to 3Mbps on the remote terminal I come out of (Litespan). I wound up getting a 5M circuit out of it on a remote capped at 3 and it's been like that for 5 months as a part of a test. Runs smooth and never drops even with my line running marginal (SNR of 7dB downstream, 9dB upstream ).

Either way, find out some technical info or keep pestering

Oh yeah, peak hours for my neighborhood on Verizon:

Also a video of how well it performs which took just a few minutes to upload (there's some delay for the first site, buffering issue on Verizon's edge router I'm getting them to fix):

»youtu.be/LMBNaK82ruo

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ruo&hd=1
COjosh

COjosh to MrBubbaHyde

to MrBubbaHyde
I'm always late to the party when Smith is around..

Like he said, pester, pester, pester!

Find your local CO/Garage and stalk a Frontier van until you find the answers you are looking for.

The monkeys on the phones have nothing to go on other than loop records that are stamped with a max terminal speed even though, in the real world, there may be a drastic difference.

Only way to get the real dirt is to find a Frontier tech that actually KNOWS.
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Hey Thanks again guys, although I dont understand all the lingo, I get the point. I have a call in to a local manager I spoke to a while back to see if anything changed. I am really hoping to have him bump up my line as a test, if I could Just get to 5-7 I might be able to live with it.

Comcast does not run service to my home but they are 5/10ths of a mile away, might be worth it to just pay them to run it! I cant stand the speed I have now, its killing my work, and my personal fun!
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

Update:

Well The best I found out is that I am On a "remote". Other than that I have not received one call back from anyone I contacted, so frustrating.

When i was with Comcast I paid 200.00 a month had several HD boxes, movie channels, and only One router for the whole house.

Now I pay over that, have Two routers, only 2 HD boxes, and Internet speeds like this! Unbelievable.

I also understand I am provisioned, so now I guess it's just a matter of getting someone to listen to me and "provision" my line higher as a test, but I'm not having any luck, so I went to my local Comcast office to see about getting Comcast to my home, they are on a pole about 5/10ths of a mile away so we will see.

Any suggestions about who to contact in the 18612 area code for Frontier would be appreciated.

Thanks
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

Click for full size
Heres a prime example of what happens to me almost every night..

Try doing anything on that line!

Strider7Sfga
@50.120.112.x

Strider7Sfga

Anon

I've had a good deal of success when contacting the Regional managers as well as Corporate Reps for the Ohio area region.
E-mail as well as phone calls have helped resolve several issues as far as proper line speed provisioning as well as a host of other problems. Calling tech support or customer services doesn't generally produce much as far as positive results. Here are a couple URL's you may wish to try to get a hold of your areas General managers, (who will need to authorize any provisioning changes,) as well as Regional Corporate reps who can light a fire under some butts to affect the appropriate changes.
»frontier.com/customerservice/8
»frontier.com/customerservice/2

With your line stats, you're definitely getting hosed as far as provisioning. If nothing can be done in the immediate future to correctly provision you to what you're paying for, at least have them reduce your plan to what you are getting. 3MB/.5MB .
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Well Apparently nothing can be done.......

The best info I have is I am being back fed out of a remote, and they have already tried to raise the speed and I am told it failed. I am a little over 3 Miles from the Head end, and nothing can be done to upgrade until yada yada yada happens. in other words until Frontier decides to upgrade, I and my neighbors are SOL.

Any other suggestions?

One thing I would love to know is if there is a better modem/router I can buy? Basically My dish network receiver is 12 ft from the Box and I get 41% signal strength. I believe The Frontier I'm on is PPPoe, so I don't know if that makes a difference in what to buy.

Thanks again for any help/direction...

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Just about everything out there supports PPPoE. The Westell equipment I have found reliable myself, especially 6100s when used as a bridged modem. From there getting your own access point typically helps over the combo/gateway units. From my own experience unless your building is made of some building materials that don't allow Wi-Fi to penetrate nicely, the signal has to propagate through reflection, or the antennas are poor on a device, the Frontier-supplied gateways don't have that bad of range.

A new modem and router won't help with the speed of the service however. Maybe it will help with internal network transfers though.
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

2 edits

MrBubbaHyde

said by Smith6612:

Just about everything out there supports PPPoE. The Westell equipment I have found reliable myself, especially 6100s when used as a bridged modem. From there getting your own access point typically helps over the combo/gateway units. From my own experience unless your building is made of some building materials that don't allow Wi-Fi to penetrate nicely, the signal has to propagate through reflection, or the antennas are poor on a device, the Frontier-supplied gateways don't have that bad of range.

A new modem and router won't help with the speed of the service however. Maybe it will help with internal network transfers though.

Yea thats what I was looking at, better signal inside the house, because when my service goes to crap, at least I can Plex or WMC something to watch on the other Tv's in the house.

I find it strange that the wireless signal is so bad, can it be because I have two lines with two different routers in the house?

Example, If I take the wireless USB for my Dish and put it on an extension cable, the only time I get 100% strength is if I put it right next to the 7500! Silly right?

One of my biggest issues with the 7500 is XBOX live, there are three units in the house, and open nat is pretty much a requirement, however it seems with my limited knowledge of how to port forward, I can only get the modem router to do 1 unit per modem, quite a pain. When i had Comcast I used a netgear router that was XBOX live friendly, and had open NAT for everything.

Also, Is there really any reason for me to be paying to have that Second line? Now that I think about it, it was sold to me as a completely open 2 direct connect, in other words I have two lines feeding my house, both supposed to be giving me up to 12 mbps.

Is this just great marketing? I mean they both connect to the same line that runs to my house, Am I really getting two completely different feeds? Or am I better saving the money and going to one, and feeding everything off of that.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The routers can reduce the signal quality if they're running in the same channel, but if you have them set up in 1 / 6 or 1 / 11 or 6 / 11 they should not be reducing each other being in the house.

Do you have any other devices to compare the signal with, such as a laptop that can give the signal using some sort of utility (WLAN Card utility, system utility, or a tool such as InSSIDer/Vistumbler)? I find that some devices, especially devices with integrated cards such as game consoles and Blu-Ray players don't often have the greatest cards or antennas in them. A lot of people usually consider them to be weak, where in comparison a laptop wireless card often shines in performance. Also, placement, placement, placement! . Keep the modems away from ceilings or walls if possible. Keeps propagation issues with the radio signal to a minimum.

For multiple Xbox 360s, make sure you have UPnP enabled within your gateway (oh, and reboot it once too). Otherwise, open NAT requires each console to use different ports, or to each have a public IP dedicated to it. You may also wish to play around with the Gateway Firewall too, just to be sure it is not affecting how the consoles operate.
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Ok changed the routers to different channels, didnt seem to make any difference on signal quality.

Is there a Wireless N Modem/Router Combo that will work with my current Frontier Line, Please recomend because I would probably buy it in a heart beat.

Just switched my Panny BR over to wireless and even it says I will see reduced performance and recomends a wirelss N connection, but I dont know what will work, plug n play with my DSL Line.

If the unit is XBOX Live friendly that would be a plus!!!

Any help is appreciated greatly...
listonr12
join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN

listonr12 to MrBubbaHyde

to MrBubbaHyde
Have you tried doing a prequal with dslextreme to see if they give you 7.1 as an option for your location?
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Ummm....Nope! How do I do that? Would change in a heartbeat!
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

Just did it prequal inconclusive....figures!
listonr12
Terre Haute, IN

listonr12

Shucks that sucks! It is always worth a shot to reach out to one of their techs in their forum. Frontier just brought DSL to the area my parent's live in and I was able to order service for them through DSLx.

Frontier first told me that is was available at my parent's address, then that it wasn't. I wasn't satisfied with that, because their house is within three miles of the CO. I e-mailed the regional manager and he had a network engineer look into it. There was an error in their database.. imagine that. haha

I was once weary about being persistent when it came to ordering services, but that situation definitely changed that.

I hope Frontier can get your speeds lined out!
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Me too. pulling my damn hair out...lol

Thanks for the help though, I am in direct communication with a local higher up,.(No Names)...he is extremely sympathetic, and has told me nothing short of its an infrastructure problem.

Had I known that when I signed up things may have been different. Now its just trying to get the most out of what I can.

Being my netflix sucks and at night is basically unwatchable, I am now in the process of doing the media server route, with plex, but the westell not being "N" is hurting that, as well as the limited range.
listonr12
Terre Haute, IN

listonr12

That's good that they're in contact with you!

You could always get your own N router and put that 7500 in bridge mode.

Link to verizon instructions on changing to bridge mode

Westell Forum Post
MrBubbaHyde
Shavertown, PA

MrBubbaHyde

Thanks for the link, will try that first. Just thought it would be easier to just buy a different modem/router.

Cant I just take my two DSL Lines, and both modems and smash em together somehow to get 6.0mbps! lol
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

Just got my Phone call from Comcast regarding the possibility of running service to my home,.....5/10ths of a mile from where they have service..............drum roll........

22,000.00 Dollars! Really...lol

The struggle continues....
MrBubbaHyde

1 edit

MrBubbaHyde

Click for full size
Click for full size
And so begins the nightly slow down........................

So glad I don't have to share my DSL line with the whole neighborhood, like they claim I would have to if I had Cable Internet,
what a joke this is becoming.
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

My speed test at 9:50 pm......pitiful!
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
What a bunch of liars, how does this happen! Do they have a special pipeline to make the customers believe they are actually getting good speed?

BTW it took almost 3 minutes to upload these pics!
MrBubbaHyde

MrBubbaHyde

That's good that they're in contact with you!

You could always get your own N router and put that 7500 in bridge mode.

Link to verizon instructions on changing to bridge mode

Westell Forum Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried everything cant get it to connect in bridged mode...so frustrating.

Why oh why don't the just have a "N" modem router available, you know something a little more up to date!

Jeez it is 2012
staregazer
join:2006-12-15

staregazer to MrBubbaHyde

to MrBubbaHyde
Frontier's speed test site gives out false reports. It reports about 2-3 times the actual speed than what you are really getting. It was not like that a year ago. They must have changed that sometime this year.

You have to stay on top of them. An idea is to band together some other DSL users in the area and when contacting Frontier tell them that you represent a group of people in your area that has banded together and perhaps even have their signatures stating that they all have speed issues and may petition cable to run into the area.

If you have line of site to someone you know has cable broadband then perhaps you could shoot with a pair of radios a signal to your house.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by staregazer:

Frontier's speed test site gives out false reports. It reports about 2-3 times the actual speed than what you are really getting. It was not like that a year ago. They must have changed that sometime this year.

You have to stay on top of them. An idea is to band together some other DSL users in the area and when contacting Frontier tell them that you represent a group of people in your area that has banded together and perhaps even have their signatures stating that they all have speed issues and may petition cable to run into the area.

If you have line of site to someone you know has cable broadband then perhaps you could shoot with a pair of radios a signal to your house.

In my area after the days of the CO's connection back to Rochester being saturated, the Frontier Speed test, which hasn't changed since then also reported the same speeds you would get if you ran a download or another speed test. After Frontier resolved the connectivity issues, we didn't see any speed issues to the Frontier speed test locally, but ones in other areas would sometimes be iffy (moreso for regions outside of NY). If I used a bandwidth monitor to compare transfer rates, the only thing the Frontier test did was report the proper speed the applet was getting, as agreed upon by my bandwidth monitor.

I think half of the reason is due to the fact that these are on-network tests. The other half may be because the tests are running over non-congested circuits, or in a shameful stance could be prioritized in such a way to only reveal issues with your physical circuit being congested, or DSLAM congestion.

I suppose what is being seen is the nature of the Internet and how things route. It was rather common for anything in the past for me that went from Rochester to Ashburn to see a nice speed hit at night. The Frontier speed test never left Rochester unless I picked another location.