join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to sfogliatelle

Re: rant: AT&T DSL download and "speed"

Watch your use of CAPs! Emphasis is fine, but there is a conventional notation which distinguishes between kbs and kBs. According to convention, thousands of bits per second is stated as, "kbs", while thousands of Bytes per second is stated as, "kBs".

Furthermore, while speed test normally report kbs, download managers normally report kBs. So it is unclear to me whether you have "13.5 kBs" (which is 1,687 kbs), or 13.5 kbs (which pitiful for a nominal 1536 kbs connection).

So I will request two pieces of information to help me understand. First, your connection statistics from your modem; especially the SNR (or noise margin) and the line attenuation. Second, an online speed test. Either of these:

»www.att.com/speedtest/
»www.speedtest.net/
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by NormanS:

Watch your use of CAPs! Emphasis is fine, but there is a conventional notation which distinguishes between kbs and kBs. According to convention, thousands of bits per second is stated as, "kbs", while thousands of Bytes per second is stated as, "kBs".

Furthermore, while speed test normally report kbs, download managers normally report kBs. So it is unclear to me whether you have "13.5 kBs" (which is 1,687 kbs), or 13.5 kbs (which pitiful for a nominal 1536 kbs connection).

So I will request two pieces of information to help me understand. First, your connection statistics from your modem; especially the SNR (or noise margin) and the line attenuation. Second, an online speed test. Either of these:

»www.att.com/speedtest/
»www.speedtest.net/

he's better off using shaperprobe

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to NormanS
Pardon the alphabetical protocol in my original post. Ditto for my naiveté on furnishing modem stats. Long story short is I dunno how.

Here are the results of two speed tests:

att.com/speedtest/ 1.25Mbps Ping 71ms
speedtest.net/ .54Mbps

hope that helps. thanks.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to medbuyer