uniqs
share rss forum feed

DudeBud1

join:2012-11-08
St Catharines, ON

1 edit

Niagara ISP's - Reliable TPIA's in the Peninsula

Ok....
So after hearing about the downtime with ikTel, and reading other forums posts about "Start" in Niagara, combined with the vague-ness of Vaxxine..... What is the best third party ISP in Niagara (specifically in St. Catharines) ?

I'm a student at Brock, looking for bang for my buck.

I've been through the ringer with both Bell and Cogeco. I do upload a fair amount to the school, but i can't really push the monthly $50 internet budget too far. I'm trying to find affordable and reliable third party intarweb in a Bell/Cogeco dominated area.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07

1 edit
++++1 for Start.

With their Pro Cable Internet Package, you get 30/2 speed / a bandwidth cap of 400 GB (if that's enough for you), and if you're currently a subscriber of Cogeco, the $50 installation fee is waived. Cost for the Pro Cable Package is $59.95.

Docsis 3 modem (DCM-476), for the higher speeds, will cost $99.95 if you order directly from Start.

To check out Start's "temporary" forum (until the forum gets moved for better visibility), go here:
»Start Communications

Edit: also, since you upload a lot to the school, you might be happy to know that currently upload bandwidth does not apply to the monthly cap.

Edit #2: also, you might want to take a look at Teksavvy's DSL offerings, since you get fast upload speed (up to 10 mbit/sec) on the 25 mbit package. I do not know exactly how much the startup cost will be for them.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
reply to DudeBud1
I've been using Start in Welland since July and I'm very happy with them. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Their standard 8Mbps package is $39.95, within your $50 budget. It's the same as Cogeco's 8Mbps package that they charge $48.95 for.

Even if there are problems (I had a billing issue and another issue that was actually Cogeco's fault), Start's customer service is fantastic.

DudeBud1

join:2012-11-08
St Catharines, ON
reply to silvercat
Thanks for the input!

Silvercat: I did look into Teksavvy and the best they could offer me was 1.5Mbps i must be too far from a head-end (or whatever they are called in DSL world). Customer service actually told me to look into another ISP, they acknowledged that they could not offer me quality service.

They actually recommended this site!!! That's how i actually found this forum.

Now... i have an active cable line (left from a previous tenant) of which i am not paying for. There is still an old tag on the line saying internet. - Would this enable me to waive the $50 START setup cost? Its basically plug and play, which is all tech would be doing.

Cybersaga: Good to hear about START customer service.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
hi DudeBud:

By "active", do you mean to say that you can still access the internet through the existing cable line ? If yes, then you shouldn't have to pay a $50 setup fee. In this case, it would just be a "move" (no tech visit required), and you would just connect the new cable modem on your startup date.

Did you go to bell.ca and verify what internet packages you can get (by inputing your postal code and house number ?)

I would whole heartedly recommend Start.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to DudeBud1
said by DudeBud1:

Now... i have an active cable line (left from a previous tenant) of which i am not paying for. There is still an old tag on the line saying internet. - Would this enable me to waive the $50 START setup cost? Its basically plug and play, which is all tech would be doing.

Unfortunately you are still going to require a tech visit if YOU have never had cable service in YOUR name at the address. I think Start will only wave the fee if your transferring an active internet connection in your name. Looks like a contractor/tech didnt disconnect the address correctly the last time the house had services cancelled.

Start still needs to have a contractor of Cogecos to come out to a) verify the service drop is okay. b) the drop is grounded c) line to modem is running on the correct type of coax (RG6). Also if you or anyone else at the address is not paying for cable television, the contractor will also install a filter to block out the bands that the television channels are carried on.

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Start has been great for me in St. Cath.

Iktel was not good. speed was very inconsistent, had downtime far too often, never got credited. then they forgot to bill be for 3 or 4 months and then suddenly billed me several months all at once.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Are you having any speed issues

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Me? Not since switching to start. it's been very fast and rock solid.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
If you want to ask some more detailed questions about Start, go over to the Start forum. There are a couple folks from Start who post there (rocca and Start Laurie).