spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Saver2

join:2003-11-17

Need Help - PPP on computer does not work

Hi, I have AT&T DSL with a speedstream 4100 and a Linksys E2500 router. I used to be able to set the speedstream 4100 modem to PPP on the computer and have the router use PPPoE with my user id and password to connect to AT&T DSL. Some times ago, it stopped working (I suspect something must have changed on AT&T side) so I called AT&T and they had me set the speedstream 4100 to PPP on the modem and then hook my router with Auto Config DHCP. This works but when connections get dropped I have to connect the eternet to my computer first to get the Internet connection then I re-connect it to router or else it won't get an internet connection. I was wondering if there is a way to set my speedstream 4100 back to PPP on the computer and have my router use PPPoE connection? Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
I had the same problem with a D-Link router and Century link a few months back. Century link tech support was able to see that it was not receiving my log in info. It was the router not sending ppoe user and password. Had a spare router that I could put on line quickly which proved it.

I would reset the router and reprogram it. Another thing is to make sure the modem is in bridge or pass through mode which it must be in for the router to handle ppoe.

Saver2

Thanks Ken1943! I have tried the folling.

1) Using a spare router to try to connect, it won't connect.
2) I set my dsl modem to bridge mode and tried using my router as PPPoE to connect log in. Still can't connect.

It looks like PPP has to be set on dsl modem to connect, anything else it just won't connect.

Ken1943

Denver, CO

1 edit
reply to Saver2
Sorry to hear that. Those were my only ideas since I went through a similar problem. There may be a AT&T or Speedstream forum around that you could ask in. Search Google for them. Like: speedstream 4100 dsl with router : may get something.

Good Luck

Ken1943

Denver, CO
reply to Saver2
That Google search string I gave you turned up some interesting hits. Looks like that modem is weird and has to be setup "non-normal" as opposed to what I can do with my modem.

Saver2

Thanks Ken1943! That's weird. The speedstream did work before as PPP on computer and my router does the PPPoE connection. It was one night maybe about 1 or 2 years ago when it lost connection then afterwards I called AT&T tech support and was told to set my speedstream to PPP on modem. To me I thought something must have changed on AT&T side that required the speedstream to be set PPP on modem to connect.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
I wish I could offer a solution, but AT&T has indeed on numerous occasions changed the way that they handle PPPoE (PPPoE is not really standardized), and/or pushed firmware to their AT&T branded "modems" that keep them from operating properly in bridge mode. I have been a victim of this kind of activity myself, and I have seen it happen to several clients.

The only solution (short of trying different combinations of modems and routers until you find a combination that works), is to give up and do the PPPoE in the "modem", and either put your router's WAN interface in the "modem's" DMZ, or use your secondary router as only an access point (if it is a wireless router and the WiFi capability is your primary reason for using the secondary router).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
reply to Saver2
Just something that may or may not be helpful. If you look closely at the modem's setup, you might discover something like "service" or "hostname" that may be a key for the router to include - if it can. It may not be able to.

I'm several years away from playing with PPP but I recall using some PPP tools to get listings of the available services - if there's more than one it's a key to select the right one. Too often, routers use a strange name for this setting (like "put something here if your ISP says to" ).

It could be as simple as putting the right name as a hostname, too. Or NOT using what the router uses by default. Another setting obscured by simple router interfaces. The PPP negotiation needs a hostname and it may be generic or grabbed from the router's name, for example.

Like mentioned, AT&T forums may have the key. Good luck!

EDIT: Was just looking at »ui.linksys.com/files/E2500/1.0.00/pppoe.htm

It's pretty clear where "Service Name (Optional)" goes. Host (and Domain) Name, too. I'd try every name you find in the modem. Services can be a little harder to find.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to Saver2
Where abouts are you located? I monitor the three main AT&T forums here and haven't seen any complaints like yours (other than yours in AT&T West).

You might also post a thread in AT&T Direct : »AT&T Direct and ask if there has been some change to your local PPPoE specs that would disable your router's PPPoE connection capability.
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam

Saver2

Thanks for the replies, guys!

After resetting the dsl modem, my router started to atleast do auto DHCP without me having first connecting it to my computer. So I'm happy. Thanks again for all the help!