uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Pher9999

to Pher9999

Re: Hopeless or possible? HDTV OTA

said by Pher9999:

Silly idea, could you put the antenna on the tree?

AFAIK those antennas don't like to move.
The top of the tree would move a lot (it actually splits into 4 trunks, so no central trunk.

Then I'd need a preamp near the antenna to compensate for the 100 feet of RG6... so that preamp would need power, in the tree!

The garage thing isn't so bad. It's not like I had much chance to catch both sets of channels anyway if the tree wasn't in the way. There are about 5 trees directly in the way of the local stations, so I'd need to have the best orientation possible, yet not sacrifice the orientation for the US channels.

I measured the heights yesterday. My chimney is actually 40 feet high while the garage's roof's peak is 20-25 feet high, so the garage isn't so low.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

You could put a 10' mast on the garage.

EDIT: Aren't you guys metric? Why you talkin in feet?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Bob4:

Only if 20-25 feet isn't enough.
said by Bob4:

Because I know both, but you guys don't

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by alkizmo:

said by Bob4:

Only if 20-25 feet isn't enough.
said by Bob4:

Because I know both, but you guys don't

We do. We have NASA and stuff here that you don't have there, remember?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

said by fifty nine:

We do. We have NASA and stuff here that you don't have there, remember?

I do remember NASA losing a Mars probe because someone didn't read measurements as metric.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Then I'd need a preamp near the antenna to compensate for the 100 feet of RG6... so that preamp would need power, in the tree!

That would not be an issue. The pre-amp is powered through the coax cable with a power injector inside the house.

While putting the antenna at the top of a tall tree is an attractive idea from the height perspective it is not very practical for the other reasons given (especially motion of the tree in windy weather).

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by leibold:

That would not be an issue. The pre-amp is powered through the coax cable with a power injector inside the house.

Ah.
But what is best? preamp near the antenna or near the TV/Splitter?
edit - Not thinking of putting it in the tree, but I gotta know for when I do setup my ... setup.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I do remember NASA losing a Mars probe because someone didn't read measurements as metric.

NASA read them as metric alright (and that is what they were supposed to be). Too bad Lockhead Martin incorrectly specified the force of the thrusters using imperial measurements. Oops
leibold

leibold to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

But what is best? preamp near the antenna or near the TV/Splitter?

Pre-amp inside the antenna (some antennas are designed for that) is best, followed by pre-amp near the antenna. You want to boost the received signal before subjecting it to the losses in the wiring.

I'm lucky enough to get a 73 mile distant station without the need for a pre-amp (LOS, directional antenna).

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by leibold:

Pre-amp inside the antenna (some antennas are designed for that) is best, followed by pre-amp near the antenna. You want to boost the received signal before subjecting it to the losses in the wiring.

A preamp in the antenna and a preamp near the antenna seems like a bit much.

Im thinking of getting the CM7778 (or 7777). If i place it within 10-20 feet of the antenna, then run 40 feet to my splitter, would that be okay?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

No, he's saying first choice is an amp in the antenna. Second choice is an amp near the antenna. You wouldn't do both.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

its funny in canadia, we use litres and KMs when driving, pounds and feet when we are measureing around the house

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by telco_mtl:

pounds and feet when we are measureing around the house

I don't measure my house in pounds! WTF

but ya.. it's weird.

We learned metric for distances, but I gotta buy my hardware in feet/inches.

But I'm glad I don't buy 304.8cm tubes of PVC, or 121.92cm x 243.84cm plywood boards.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by leibold:

A preamp in the antenna and a preamp near the antenna seems like a bit much.

Im thinking of getting the CM7778 (or 7777). If i place it within 10-20 feet of the antenna, then run 40 feet to my splitter, would that be okay?

If you use a CM-7777 the preamp goes right at the antnenna and the power supply in the house. You need to put your splitter after the power supply as the coax is the circuit to power the preamp. I have a 7777 and it works great.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by Jack_in_VA:

If you use a CM-7777 the preamp goes right at the antnenna and the power supply in the house. You need to put your splitter after the power supply as the coax is the circuit to power the preamp.

You could use a splitter with "DC pass through" if you have to split the cable prior to the power injector but then you have to pay attention how you connect it (the DC pass through is only one of the splitter outputs).

It is best to do it like Jack_in_VA See Profile said but sometimes there is no power near the first split in the antenna cables. That is especially likely if you are using a splitter/combiner on the roof to combine the signal from the two antennas (to bring only one coax into the house).

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by leibold:

It is best to do it like Jack_in_VA See Profile said but sometimes there is no power near the first split in the antenna cables. That is especially likely if you are using a splitter/combiner on the roof to combine the signal from the two antennas (to bring only one coax into the house).

Well, the cable would go from the antenna to a space under my basement stairs where my network cables and coax cables meet. So the split would be there, and I can put the power injector JUST before the splitter. (well, between the antenna and the splitter, whichever means before or after).

The second antenna would also go directly to that location, as both antennas would be a good 40 feet away from each others and that space under the stairs is between them.