uniqs
share rss forum feed

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

Gas rationing as of 11/9, is it really going to work ?

i doubt it.
i dont see how this is going to be enforced.
are the gas stations supposed to hire extra staff to man the pumps now ?
what about the self serve pay at the pump stations that are not manned by someone ?
do we pay the cost of these extra staff to man the pumps with higher gas prices ?
what about the 24 hour gas stations manned with one person behind a thick glass window late at night ?
is he supposed to use binoculars to see if your plate is odd/even ?
is he going to run outside and stop you from pumping or just remotely shut the pump off ?
is he going to call the cops, by the time the cops get there you will be long gone, then what ?
what about parking your car next to the gas station, filling up 2 ten gallon containers and then emptying it in your car ?
im reading reports that many gas stations here on long island are not enforcing this odd/even rule and people are ignorant to this rule.
plenty of "even" vehicles waiting in line to get gas, theres still long lines and stations that have no gas and wont open until mid/late afternoon.
while this odd/even rationing of sort may work in NJ, i believe its because NJ does not have self serve (correct me if i am wrong), i just dont see this working effectively in NY, especially Long Island.
this would be better enforced by the year you were born on your drivers license/ID.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
I think it is more of a honor system and public pressure type of thing.

In NJ (by me at least) The lines are practically non existent now. I think with the even/odd and the fact we are getting gas shipped in it is working very well. When it first started and I was almost on empty I had to wait about 30 min as opposed to 2+ hrs for gas. Also at many of stations by me they have cops at the stations directing and managing traffic so they could enforce it. I talked to one attendant and he said that he wasn't checking and it was on the cops if they wanted to.

It is one of those things that the majority of people will follow and it will help out. For those that don't they are a$$holes but oh well.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
said by MagicalPig:

I think it is more of a honor system and public pressure type of thing.

In NJ (by me at least) The lines are practically non existent now. I think with the even/odd and the fact we are getting gas shipped in it is working very well. When it first started and I was almost on empty I had to wait about 30 min as opposed to 2+ hrs for gas. Also at many of stations by me they have cops at the stations directing and managing traffic so they could enforce it. I talked to one attendant and he said that he wasn't checking and it was on the cops if they wanted to.

It is one of those things that the majority of people will follow and it will help out. For those that don't they are a$$holes but oh well.

unfortunately here on Long Island (Suffolk), there are too many here in Suffolk who could give a rats ass about the "honor system" much less respecting others who honor the "honor system".
like driving on the LIE, 75mph is not fast enough for the stickface behind you in the escalade who tailgates and flashes the headlights at you when theres plenty of other lanes available to pass slower vehicles so the driver can maintain their 100mph speed on the LIE.
--

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to IllIlIlllIll
It will be interesting how this will be enforced in The Bronx.

I'm not sure if every gas station has a cop posted, but lately I'm noticing that some gas stations close while others open, and when the open ones run out, then the closed ones re-open.

I waited 20 minutes to fill up last night, but only because I happened to drive by a Sunoco that had their gas tanker there parked and refilling the station tanks while the wait line was starting to form. The lines lately are no longer 2+ hours long, more like 45 minutes.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to IllIlIlllIll
Cops have been kicking people off line with even plate #'s at various stations today. Didn't see too many people trying to game the system though.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
People know NYPD don't play that shit.

The rationing is working. The lines are much shorter.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
said by Network Guy:

People know NYPD don't play that shit.

The rationing is working. The lines are much shorter.

but theres more gas stations out of gas than there is that have gas.
--

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by IllIlIlllIll:

but theres more gas stations out of gas than there is that have gas.

That really has nothing to do with the gas rationing system though. Many stations didn't have gas for the week leading into the rationing either.

On that note however, it looks like more stations have gas more frequently but some appear to have been without since this began.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

Network Guy
Premium
New York
reply to IllIlIlllIll
Situation is starting to finally ease in The Bronx. There's no lines anymore at many of the stations that regularly had 2+ hour-long lines.

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to IllIlIlllIll
I think it does work. In NJ, where the ration has been in effect for over a week. I went to Weehawken, right outside of Lincoln Tunnel on Wed (11/7), there was no line at two of the stations I passed by (Hess, Lukoil).

Meanwhile, travel back to my parents' Queens house around Maspeth, I noticed lines were only up to 2 short blocks instead of 4-5 blocks last weekend. I happened to check one of the lines, and all ODD numbers (friday, 11/9).

Another proof that it is working (and I admit being a jerk), on saturday (11/10), with my tank getting close to 1/4 of a tank and a license plate with odd number, I tried to gas off at one of the Weehawken gas stations. The gas attendant immediately try to waive me off. I asked if he could make an exception, since there was NO LINE, and he has 2 gas pumps with no cars. After 10 seconds of begging, he said ok. He does look nervous while doing it. I think the cops are no longer paying attention since the lines are almost non-existent now in NJ (at least outside of Lincoln Tunnel).

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
said by hchen42:

I think it does work. In NJ, where the ration has been in effect for over a week. I went to Weehawken, right outside of Lincoln Tunnel on Wed (11/7), there was no line at two of the stations I passed by (Hess, Lukoil).

Meanwhile, travel back to my parents' Queens house around Maspeth, I noticed lines were only up to 2 short blocks instead of 4-5 blocks last weekend. I happened to check one of the lines, and all ODD numbers (friday, 11/9).

Another proof that it is working (and I admit being a jerk), on saturday (11/10), with my tank getting close to 1/4 of a tank and a license plate with odd number, I tried to gas off at one of the Weehawken gas stations. The gas attendant immediately try to waive me off. I asked if he could make an exception, since there was NO LINE, and he has 2 gas pumps with no cars. After 10 seconds of begging, he said ok. He does look nervous while doing it. I think the cops are no longer paying attention since the lines are almost non-existent now in NJ (at least outside of Lincoln Tunnel).

in your situation with very little gas left and the possibility of a long driving distance ahead, if i were the attendant, i would make an exception based on those circumstances at the gas station as well as yours.
i hope other gas stations dont forcefully turn those away that have little gas left and a long travel ahead.
--

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
How does the attendant know how far a person has to drive to get where they are going? The only reason he should have (which he did) was because there were no lines. Also remember this isn't really rationing to the effect of a shortage as much as it is fuel management. There is enough gas to go around but not all at once without causing panic and lines.