StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

secure.dslreports.com

Firefox page info
I just discovered that (parts of) this site can be visited via an encrypted (HTTPS) connection.

»secure.dslreports.com

That said forum access seems to be unencrypted.

I've tried searching (this site and Google) and can find very little about this. Anyone know more?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

4 edits
NoScript has a "Force HTTPS" feature.
Adding www.dslreports.com as a site to force, then coming here to reply, loads:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r27712111-secure.dslreports.com

(I did have to accept a "bad", I'll leave it at that because I don't understand them, certificate, in order to access here via HTTPS, but otherwise looks to be working.)

Somewhat related, Firefox to force secure connections for selected domains.

(Heh. Now when I capture links to paste, they come in as » & the board kind of farts with them, or at least some of them.

---

> Adding www.dslreports.com as a site to force

Changing that to .dslreports.com seem to pick up more, https, though then looks to make things slower, but still not too bad. And even so, there may still be unsecure items (hence "broken lock") coming from other domains, dslr.net is one.

What's HTTPS and why is that important for NoScript users?

---

LATE EDIT:

(Heh. Now when I capture links to paste, they come in as h-t-t-p-s:// & the board kind of farts with them, or at least some of them.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Many links you click on, from a secure page, go to another one. That said some take you to the unsecured site (www.dslreports.com). Not sure if the NoScript or " HTTPS Everywhere" FireFox add-ons would fix that.

Still it's nice that a lot of stuff can go over HTTPS. Prevents the "I like to watch" guys from seeing everything
--

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
(I've edited/added any number of times above, but will stop that now )

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to therube
said by therube:

(I did have to accept a "bad", I'll leave it at that because I don't understand them, certificate, in order to access here via HTTPS, but otherwise looks to be working.)

I started this thread because I got that (after using the secure login page) on my newly acquired Andoid tablet and saw that the whole site was using HTTPS. Tried that on Firefox and saw it worked

Not sure why the Android browser barfs on the DSLR certificate because it is issued by GoDaddy and the tablet has a GoDaddy root certificate.
--

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

Not sure why the Android browser barfs on the DSLR certificate because it is issued by GoDaddy and the tablet has a GoDaddy root certificate.

DSLR doesn't include the intermediate(s) for their certificate.

Normally, in this situation, a browser would then use AIA (Authority Information Access) fetches to fill in the blanks, but it appears as though Android may not support this functionality.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Thanks for the info. I hadn't checked that closely.
--
Expand your moderator at work

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to evoxllx

Re: secure.dslreports.com

Thanks again for that. Went and got the GoDaddy intermediate certificate and installed it in my Android device. All is now well
--