TSI Support
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
reply to ipanini

Re: [DSL] Basic question - Can MLPPP be applied with *ANY* ADSL

Hi there,

You would need to have both lines through the same provider, and subscribe to a provider that supports MLPPP.

You would want the provider to raise the 4.5 Mbps line to a higher profile if it supports it. Honestly, if they can't, you are going to see only a marginal improvement.

Would you like any further clarification on this? If so, please ask and we would be happy to do so.

Take care,
TSI-Ashley

ipanini

join:2012-11-09
Hi Ashley and JeanInNepean,

Thanks both for your answer.
Yes I would like to have further clarification on the subject.

Perhaps first some more detail:
I use OS X mostly and also Linux. (some Solaris too but only for zfs NAS) Of course also a couple of windoze boxes around.

I realize that a traffic request going out on mac address #1 will receive its reply on that same mac #1.
I'm not familiar with MLPPP, but perhaps it would be possible to say: send each 1 (first) package via mac#2 and send each 2nd and 3rd package via mac #2.

Your suggestion about protocols;
I use a lot of nzb and torrent stuff, so perhaps there I could gain some benefit.

At the moment I have a pfsense machine running, as that was my first attempt to get some bandwidth increase. However I see no traffic over my 2nd (slowest) WAN. This will very probably be due to me misconfiguring pfsense or firewall rules. I was hoping to be able to first set up "pass all" on both WAN's and after verification of functionality and speed, do more narrowing down.

Also I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (version 1.7) and am thinkering of running DD-WRT or MLPPP or something on it.

Anyhow I would prefer to have a solution that is available to any machine on my network, and not only for a single machine.

Open to your suggestions!
Thanks a lot!

Erwin