Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

1 edit

Crap, cracked toilet!

Click for full size
Click for full size
should I replace it, now or can it wait? Now I had to replace a wax ring because it was leaking. Had to plunge this particular toilet a couple of times in all the years we live here 7 plus. But as soon as lifted I notice that the toilet lip that connects to the tank is crack clean through. Who know how long this has been like this. It's was a new house when we bought it, of course any warranty is long ended. But it has never leaked from the tank. The rubber is still soft I checked when I drained the tank. I connected it back up and still no leaks from the tank where the bolts pass through. Again who knows how long it's been like this. I've put a paper towel all day and no leaks. Eventually we'll prob replace it. Feedback? Opinions?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Re: Crap cracked toilet!

Replace it. You're flirting with disaster if you don't.

It's way too high off the floor as well. Probably what has caused it.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Warzau
I don't understand what you mean. This part is where the top of the toilet meets the bottom of the tank.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Warzau
said by Warzau:

Again who knows how long it's been like this.

It's been that way since someone over-torqued those nuts. Looking at how deformed the washer is on the other side, I'm amazed that portion hasn't cracked yet!

It probably won't leak so long as no one leans on or otherwise applies any force to the tank. Seeing as to how there's no way to guarantee that won't happen, you really should replace the tank.

Looking closely at the pictures again, it looks like the whole thing may be assembled incorrectly. There should be rubber washers that go between the metal washer and the bottom of the toilet bowl lip. Am I seeing the rubber washer stuffed between the tank and the bowl.. ??

Edit: to add pic. In other words, the piece I highlighted in red belongs where I drew the blue line.

pike
Premium,MVM
Washington, DC
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

It's way too high off the floor as well. Probably what has caused it.

Huh? I don't see the floor in any of those pictures.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Warzau
Oh heck, sorry. I was thinking it was an upside-down pic of the base. The brass bolts threw me. Apologies.

I would replace it. Hard to tell how far the crack spreads in the pics. Stress may break it.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

reply to Warzau
Let me get this right.... Crap cracked the toilet? That's pretty insane. You need to change your diet!

I'd change it. No telling when the crack will migrate and then you might have a bigger mess...

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Hahausuck:

Let me get this right.... Crap cracked the toilet?

He probably has a 10 year old daughter.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Oh heck, sorry. I was thinking it was an upside-down pic of the base. The brass bolts threw me. Apologies.

Yeah, I was going to point out that toilets were not meant to be inverted and bolted to the ceiling.
Agree with the replace/fix comments. You don't want a tank of water dumped on the floor when it finally fails.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

2 recommendations

reply to pike
said by pike:

It probably won't leak so long as no one leans on or otherwise applies any force to the tank. Seeing as to how there's no way to guarantee that won't happen, you really should replace the tank.

No reason to replace the tank unless the OP wants to replace the entire toilet. It's not the tank that's broken, it's the top of the bowl.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Tig
said by Tig:

said by Juggernaut:

Yeah, I was going to point out that toilets were not meant to be inverted and bolted to the ceiling.
Agree with the replace/fix comments. You don't want a tank of water dumped on the floor when it finally fails.

May be way more than a tank if no one catches it quick as the lack of water would allow the float to go down starting the now endless fill process. Worse if away for the weekend come home to a flooded house.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
It's the bowl rim, not the tank.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Warzau

area of crack
Just to clarify, this is how it is cracked ( black line ). Anyway long night of fussing over it and already looking at new toilets. Prob get same type, of course newer model.
BTW it's a older Kohler Wellworth of course this particular model is discontinued. I looked into just buying the bowl. So it's a new one I have to get. Okay one piece or two piece?

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Cho Baka
how the heck did you know.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

It's the bowl rim, not the tank.

I guess the way I am seeing it is if the failure for whatever reason caused the rubber gasket not to seal fully anymore the upper tank would leak. So if the wrong type of catastrophic failure?

equivocal

join:2008-01-23
USA
reply to Warzau
For a crack toilet it seems pretty innocuous. The crack doesn't open up any water-filled cavity. The tank is now held by 3 bolts and the other hole remains sealed.

The last kits I installed had a 2nd nut between the tank and bowl that I don't see in the pictures. Being able to tighten down the washer inside the tank separately from the tank to the bowl seems like a good way to go.

Not to suggest a course of action, but what kind of adhesive could repair that crack?

Anyway, in my home improvement experience making things better makes things worse.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Warzau
When I was poor and started my company I broke one of out toilets just like that.

I took it all apart and siliconed it with a clamp.

It lasted 6 years until I replaced the whole thing.

Not a drip drop of leak.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Warzau
Super glue the crack, then epoxy the outside for extra support.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
said by aurgathor:

Super glue the crack, then epoxy the outside for extra support.

No silicone

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Warzau
Make it a perfect fit.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Warzau
I was drunk and crashed into mine. Ha

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Warzau
I was mortified.

My wife was going to kill me.

We were so poor at the time.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Warzau
3d bathroom, powder room and pool bathroom.

%uck I was so embarrassed.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Warzau
We were cutting it so close I didn't have an extra $150

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Warzau
said by Warzau:

I looked into just buying the bowl. So it's a new one I have to get. Okay one piece or two piece?

One piece is more expensive and heavier to mess around with, but less chance of cracking the bowl rim where the tank mounts and fewer leak possibilities.

But you can still crack the bowl rim where it bolts to the floor. Comes down to budget and preference.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Warzau
That's after the flush valve, so any leak would only occur while the toilet is actually flushing. See if you can fix it.

pike
Premium,MVM
Washington, DC
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

It's not the tank that's broken, it's the top of the bowl.

Good point! Mea culpa.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to Warzau
The best permananent fix would be to replace at least the bowl (if you can get just that in the same model) or just replace the whole toilet.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Warzau
Crap cracked toilet!

Crap! cracked toilet!

This is where punctuation can make all the difference LOL

Seriously, though, I would replace the bowl.

It is a few hundred to have it professionally done with warranty included.

I have paid for install and done it myself.

It is not rocket science but can be a major PITA if space is limited.

If you have lots of room it's not too hard.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to equivocal
Actually it two bolts. The other two is for the toilet seat. So two forward bolts and then the third bolt where the support is cracked.