share rss forum feed

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2

[NJ] Energy Choice

Anyone here taken advantage of it? If so with who, and how is it working out for you so far?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

There's an older thread in the NY forum on alternate energy providers and the consensus is that you didn't really save money.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to Jodokast96

It appears to me that they lure you with slightly lower rates for some period of time, then start charging more and hope you don't notice.

Also note that when they say they'll save 10%, it's 10% off the generation charges, which is only a fraction of your total bill.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Jodokast96

I can't suggest a power company for you as I live in Pennsylvania but it's working out here very well. Philadelphia Electric Company (PECO) recently raised rates 21.5% but mine didn't rise because I use an alternative supplier.

»articles.philly.com/2012-09-30/n···menendez

The Philadelphia utility's residential price for electricity is slated to increase 21.5 percent on Monday.

Peco doesn't make any money off electricity supply - the cost is a pass-through. The utility earns its profits on a distribution charge it gets from all customers, regardless of who generates their power.

"The smart Peco customer would be shopping," said Engel Menendez.

--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

NJ utilities have been reducing rates.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Jodokast96

said by Jodokast96:

Anyone here taken advantage of it? If so with who, and how is it working out for you so far?

Yes I did and am saving about $14/mo on a bill that used to average a little over $100/mo with ATlantic City Electric.

This is who I dealt with.
»www.jerrykelly.igniteinc.biz
He sells for Stream Energy who resells for Energy Choice pgm.

Rates: »secure.streamenergy.net/nj_rates···CNjOMCvT

Figuring out whether you save or not is not easy. But look for a phrase on your current electric bill like this: " The class average annual price to compare is 11.71 cents per kWh." Then compare that to the rate chart from the Energy Choice provider.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.