join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to dave

Re: Do you still use Windows?

said by dave:

My officemates: "kids today don't know shit..."

Yup. The "Golden Days" of computing are gone. Computers are just another appliance nowadays.

BTW Silicon or Germanium diodes?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hey, qualify the age for being a "kid", after all it becomes relative after one reaches a certain age. Our community thinks of "kids" being those under 55 years old.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to StuartMW

Good question, and now I am totally bummed out because I can't find my PDP11 peripherals handbook.

I'd guess germanium, they weren't required to do anything fancy except conduct or not.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
reply to Hank

I meant my officemates back then thought that it was the end of civilization because I could not recite the abs loader from my head. (I was twenty-something at the time)

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to dave

said by dave:

I'd guess germanium...

Prolly. Germanium diodes can't switch for sh*t but in those days nothing else could either. Modern silicon diodes can switch in ns.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Yup. The "Golden Days" of computing are gone. Computers are just another appliance nowadays.

I don't miss rewiring boards, or using a wire wrap tool and land cutter on IBM System/3.

Loading programs onto IBM Series 1s was a great leap forward. We used a plug-in console with a touch pad to enter commands in hex to load software from an 8" diskette.

There was no backspace, so if you screwed up on an entry, you had to start over.

God, we're old...

--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.