how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Windows server 2008 and exchange 2010

Anyone on telus and run Exchange server from home from home for email server while on telus? any port issues? how do you get around them if so?

mikeexchange

@telus.net

»dyn.com/email/dyn-email-gateway/

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to DanteX

Many work arounds. Easiest solution for me, the Shaw Biz 25x2.5 plan which comes with 1 static and no ports blocked. $75/month with nothing else. The AD and EXCH run flawless for almost 2 years.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to DanteX

Not sure what the Telus biz plans are lately. Unless you are in a VDSL2 sector of industrial, mostly likely a max of 15x1 "managed" for $150+month.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by rustydusty:

Not sure what the Telus biz plans are lately. Unless you are in a VDSL2 sector of industrial, mostly likely a max of 15x1 "managed" for $150+month.

Do you ever actually post anything helpful, or do you just continue to post crap about how bad TELUS service is on these forums? You can get Business VDSL2 service from as little as $85/mo with 25Mbps downstream, 5Mbps upstream.

»www.telus.com/en_CA/content/businessfreedom/
--
The more I C, the less I see.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to DanteX

Haven't seen VDSL2 deployed in many industrial areas in Central AB. Lucky to get the 6Mb profile. He asked has anyone ran EXCH on Telus, which I have and with a 1Mb upload, I wouldn't suggest it. An exchange can saturate that with no issues with constantly syncing all contacts, events, calenders and mail across numerous employees and their devices. You need more than 1Mb up if you have a 25+ employees on exchange.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me. Last quote I got from Shaw, a 100Mbit commit (unmetered) was around $2000/mo.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to DanteX

1mbps would be fine for a testing environment without many connections. One way to get around would be to run the services on a different port when setting it up. I would recommend the e-mail scanning that mikeexchange recommended or also setting up gateway scanning on your end.

mikeexchange

@telus.net
reply to DanteX

the solution I provided will relay your mail back on a different port thus dydns will receive the email on the standard port 25 and forward it back to your exchange server. This works similar to the edge role it cleans up your mail and forwards it on. If you havent already setup your exchange server 2013 released a few weeks ago.

thus from the outside world everything works.

plus they will queue your mail if you exchange goes down a very elegant solution for 19.99 or 50.00 per year.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me.

A lot of areas can't get anything better than ADSL. Remember, not everyone is in major urban centers!

Then again in such a situation, I'd just rent dedicated servers in a datacenter to host all the internet-facing applications/functions. Faster and cheaper.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me. Last quote I got from Shaw, a 100Mbit commit (unmetered) was around $2000/mo.

Cause there's no coax or fiber in your area? Which is why I had to sign for bonded T1's at my workplace. However, we are working on a new building, and Telus just provided me some prices on 30Mb and 50Mb fiber. I'll scan the document and post, as the prices are actually quite descent for Canada. For Europe, it's still a joke, but we won't go there. $2300 for 50Mb, 94Mb bi-directional and they will cover the install and construction costs. Not metered, 5 static's, juniper, etc.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

said by pfak:

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me.

A lot of areas can't get anything better than ADSL. Remember, not everyone is in major urban centers!

Then again in such a situation, I'd just rent dedicated servers in a datacenter to host all the internet-facing applications/functions. Faster and cheaper.

Personally, I would just colocate as it's cheaper, however some biz owners like their data to be in a room in the building. Gives them all warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it's not in some DC and on the other side of their wall.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to DanteX

Who said I was running a business? Maybe I am just wanting to experiment with my own Server project.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Personally, I would just colocate as it's cheaper

Yeah, it is the cheaper alternative, assuming you're within reasonable driving distance to a DC, as with colocation you have to supply and maintain the hardware.

For me, colocation is not a viable option as it's a 5 hour drive to the nearest DC.

Yes, I am aware that some DCs offer to install the hardware for you, and perform any hardware changes/repairs on request, but of course that costs extra, and there can be considerable delays in shipping replacement hardware if things go south.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

Who said I was running a business? Maybe I am just wanting to experiment with my own Server project.

If you want to run a server for testing or development, why not jump to Biz side? Generally the prices are reasonable, plus you get the benefits of a static and unlocked ports. I won't speak on half of Telus plans as I haven't looked at them much lately, however the 25x2.5 Shaw Biz comes with 1 static and an extremely soft 250GB cap for $75/month. Telus may be able to offer something similar, however it depends on your area and VDSL2 options. Either way, it was an extremely easy choice for me. A better TOS, static IP, Soft caps and unlocked ports. A no-brainer if you ask me. To each their own, though.

Wouldn't go back to Residential side now.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to TheMG

When I say cheaper, I meant the connection and power price. You can get a way better port and connection plan, backbone providers, etc, than you can anywhere here. There's no descent DC's here, though. You can't get a 100Mb unmetered for anywhere near the price you can at many colocation providers. Telus offered us 50Mb fiber, 94Mb bi-directional, unmetered, 5 statics for $2300/month on 5 year term. Not bad considering we currently pay ~1500 for 6 bonded T1's.