Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k

Re: [CallCentric] SOLVED! CC Settings on PAP2T

I checked the admin guide and there is no mention of how the device should behave if SIP Port is blank.

I blanked my own and it defaulted to 5060. Anyone have a theory as to why this solves the problem?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mango:

I checked the admin guide and there is no mention of how the device should behave if SIP Port is blank.

I blanked my own and it defaulted to 5060. Anyone have a theory as to why this solves the problem?

Note that the SIP Port number is BLANK in my screenshot in the OP.

»CallCentric Linksys ATA Screenshots

Not sure of the significance, but I had decided on that setting thru a combination of learning previously what worked for Anveo, and from some other folks' advice about CallCentric, given just before I started the thread, but leaving that field blank was for some other reason (which I cannot recall ATM), rather than to solve any PAP2T ATA spontaneous reboots, as only some of the OBI ATAs had been rebooting as of then, IIRC.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by Mango:

Note that the SIP Port number is BLANK in my screenshot in the OP.

»CallCentric Linksys ATA Screenshots

Wow, now I recall seeing that and I missed duplicating it, nice job. It sounds like if I'd just followed it my problems would have been fixed days ago. Thanks!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

Wow, now I recall seeing that and I missed duplicating it, nice job. It sounds like if I'd just followed it my problems would have been fixed days ago. Thanks!

Or might never have happened ?

That's K00L !

Now I cannot say whether or not the random ATA rebooting would have happened to me too - as I had already chosen the blank field for other reasons, and had not anticipated the rebooting.

And if it had anything to do with CC's longer DNS records - not sure either, but they have shortened them again since then.

As I might have also said earlier, trying the blank port was an idea which I first got from learning about DNS records stucture when DNS SRV is being used (while setting up my Anveo account - and had applied the setting first THERE, and later to CC), because a port number usually gets specified for each server in a DNS SRV enabled DNS record.

I think that what may happen is that the port specified in the DNS record may conflict somehow with the port which we enter manually into the ATA.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

I think that what may happen is that the port specified in the DNS record may conflict somehow with the port which we enter manually into the ATA.

Yes, and that caused the (IMHO) buggy code running the PAP2 to reboot the device. Nice that a port conflict caused the equivalent of suicide, but whatever, it's an end of life device.

Just before the DDoS fun started I bought a Obi 100 intended to take over for the PAP2T, thinking I could get GV as a backup and it would be supported for the medium/long term. I did get GV working on it, but now I'm not sure I want that to be part of my backup plan, or how to use it.

I guess I see CC as my primary (now it's back to full use, my home phones are using it ONLY with no forwarding), CWU became my outbound backup (as CID could be set to my "real" number), and GV as a third tier. But that's three lines and each device can only use two at a time.

Anyway, glad to have the PAP2 working again with CC! The little we've used it has been back to its previous level of greatness.