uniqs
share rss forum feed

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: Recording security camera feed remotely

yeah I think thats a little more than hes looking to spend lol. no cheaper alternatives?

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

maybe some way to remotely record a simple IP camera set up or even have the DVR at the location but have it remotely back up the data every few hours or something?

regularjoe

@rr.com

Are you looking for a poor man solution or an advanced setup. Based on your comments I assume you are looking for a cost effective, "get the job done" solution.

If you just want a simple solution without investing much, well you can simply use any camera with remote viewing and just do a video capture of the remote screen on the remote computer.

Even though a lot of mid range ip cameras offer upload to a remote service like FTP. Or simply look for a cloud based ip camera solution, I think Dropcam HD and Echo are one of them.

Also you wont need Lightning at the location unless you will be doing surveillance in HD. 640x480 h.264 @ 300K per frame and 30fps will only need slightly less than 1Mbit/s to stream.

Expand your moderator at work

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
reply to regularjoe

Re: Recording security camera feed remotely

I actually just stumbled on the dropcam site a little bit ago and thats looking like the best solution for what were looking to do. The price is reasonable and the ease of use is worth it for my parents (or else Ill be there constantly trying to show them how to use it again).

I think for starters hes going to try 2 cameras, it says on their site that they only need .15 kpbs upload for a good quality image.. Im gonna give RR light a shot and see if it works, if not ill go to the standard tier and that should hopefully get the job done. This is the only thing the internet will be there for, its mostly a work shop/storage place for him. The office has lightning already

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139
reply to tim tim tim

I thought you wanted multiple cameras....if not then the above is not the solution. Just get an IP camera (Foscam is cheap) and have your dad log into the admin console and monitor/record that way. I assume he wants the full video and not the stills....

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

yes, full video with the ability to look back and all that good stuff. He want the same functionality as if the DVR were stored at the same location. His only thing is that there isn't a practical way to keep a DVR on site and keep it protected.