uniqs
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh

Re: [CA] Cox blocking torrent sites...

said by Rakeesh:

I really don't think Cox is doing IP level blocking of anything (in fact, I haven't heard of any domestic consumer facing ISPs that do any kind of IP level blocking of public addresses.)

I don't think they are doing DNS blocking of anything either, though they DO have flaky DNS servers (I remember one time they had an entire day where DNS servers were down due to a routing loop, and routing loops are usually a pretty easy thing to find and fix; shouldn't take a whole day.)

There are even times when I have tried to reach a subdomain which at certain times of the day, Cox's DNS servers can't resolve, whereas other DNS servers can. Interestingly, Level 3's DNS servers can't resolve them either, and Cox's DNS servers are sourced from Level 3 (anycast address of 4.2.2.1, guessing mine resides in Arizona, so it may be different elsewhere.)

What you might be running into is DNS poisoning. It's possible that your gateway device (router as most people call it, though it's actually multiple devices in one) has an internal DNS server that has a poisoned cache, or even a poisoned hosts file.

Or worse, it's possible that your client machine has a poisoned hosts file.

I looked at my hosts file and nothing is in there relating to cgpeers.com or torrentcrazy.com. I can load cgpeers.com now due to hunting it being blocked by a malware program i have running, but i didn't know it was blocking it. However, torrentcrazy.com won't load even if I shut down all of my malware/AV apps. flushed dnscache. Not sure where to look at this point.

Anon401
@cox.net

Anon401

Anon

I do not think the problem is because of Cox. I am getting DNS resolution on the site and I can see traffic being passed back and forth in Wireshark.

The page never does load in a web browser - this is the response I get from a telnet session:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 01:23:18 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Content-Length: 311
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

400 Bad Request

Bad Request
                                                                                                                             <p>Your brows
 sent a request that this server could not understand.
                                                            </p>
                                                                <hr>
                                                                    Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.torrentcrazy.com Port 80

Connection to host lost.