uniqs
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

[Tablet] Acer A500 screen rotate issue

I've got an Acer A500 that won't auto-rotate the screen. I have no calibration and no auto-rotate option in the display settings menu. It's running ICS 4.0.3 and before the ICS update I remember seeing at least the auto-rotate setting in there. I suspect it's the calibration that's off but I'm not sure how to do that. I've seen there are some apps that have built-in calibration but it usually only applies to that app from what I've read. Is there any way to calibrate it, or is that even my issue?

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

»www.google.com/search?oq ··· n+rotate
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

You know.....

I google'd this before posting here about it. What I didn't manage to do was include "A500" in the search string and surprisingly that made all the difference lol.

I have not tried the pinhole reset switch but I did install logcat and see error 26 all over the place and Advanced Tools showed me none of the sensors were working (but would respond to a reset command). It does appear to be a bootloader issue. I did try the "leave it off for 5 minutes" thing (seemed like the easiest to try without flashing anything or reseting it to factory) and the sensors work and so does the screen rotate.

I'll have to keep researching this and see if there's a reliable fix. So far that seems to be using the honeycomb bootloader. I have no complaints about the stock ICS OS on it but I doubt it'll run with a HC bootloader so this will probably mean finding a custom ROM I like for it. Thanks for the help!

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
Is this a universal problem.

There are many apps primarily designed for phones that don't rotate. Very irritating with a docked tablet.

The app has to support rotation as well as it being settings enabled.
MikeA1972
join:2008-02-06
Brantford, ON

MikeA1972 to JoelC707

to JoelC707
You know there is a rotation lock button on the top of the tablet right?
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yep, and it's in the unlocked state.

mattyboy
@pacbell.net

mattyboy

Anon

I've always set my tablet down for 20 or so seconds and it seems to rotate just fine when it hadn't before. Is there an auto gyro calibration in ICS???

Acer A500
Flexreaper mod

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
An old post, but just in case...

I had the same problem and I tried to think what changed since it started. The only thing I could remember changing was installing the Netflix app that was recently available for it. I uninstalled it and screen roatation started working. I then reinstalled the Netflix app and it's been working fine since.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Interesting thought. I do have the Netflix app installed and have for a while. Unfortunately I don't really know when this "problem" appeared. I have had ICS on it more or less since I got it. It wa a display model still on 3.x and I use the OTA update function as the very first thing I did with it when I got it home. I'm fairly sure the screen was rotating without issue in the beginning but if the boot loader is "too fast" as the other sites imply, then it's one of those cases where you could boot it and it works or you could boot it and it doesn't work.

Just for S&G I'll remove and reinstall Netflix and see what happens.