vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to FaxCap

Re: Are you a "collector"?

Stamp collections can be a disappointment when you go to try to sell them. Anything from 1950 onwards are looked for equidistant centering (VF), mint, never hinged. If you were like most younger collectors, you hinged the mint stamp and unknowingly shot yourself in the foot.
Saying that, however, there may be a few good varieties.

I deliberately stopped my collection in 2001, and looking at material pre-war.

For radios, go to some of the amateur radio flea markets/swaps. You never know what treasure you may find there. Haggle!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by vintagewino:

Stamp collections can be a disappointment when you go to try to sell them.

I learned this some time ago when I inherited a stamp collection of mostly foreign stamps, collected by a family member as he travelled abroad. Some people get post cards, his thing was picking up stamps (but I think he picked up the stamps to send letters so it's kind of the same lol)

I figured for sure that some of these pristine stamps, which included Hitler's head and swastikas, would be worth a bit of cash so I had them appraised. Turns out they're not at all rare and the entire binder was worth about a grand... which is apparently a lot in stamp collector currency.

Didn't sell it though as he organized them chronologically then by country and they're just so amazing to look at... Personally, I think they're a great gift to pass on to another generation.