Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to John Galt

Re: Correct cable to run through conduit.

He wants to know what size CABLE to run for a 100 A sub panel .....

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by kherr:

He wants to know what size CABLE to run for a 100 A sub panel .....

And I said 3AWG.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to kherr
I appreciate your help. I spent about an hour looking for the specifications on jacketed 4 Conductor so I can figure out what type by letter code I should purchase. There are so many letter codes for cable and wire I need help determining the letter codes for the cable which would meet the electrical code for my application. The devil is in the details.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to alkizmo
I didn't see your post, sorry

Getting too involved in watching the Rams lose a game they could win for once ........ They're killing themselves with penalties

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I appreciate your help. I spent about an hour looking for the specifications on jacketed 4 Conductor so I can figure out what type by letter code I should purchase. There are so many letter codes for cable and wire I need help determining the letter codes for the cable which would meet the electrical code for my application. The devil is in the details.

Let Nunya and Whizkid give advices on that.

Though NMD90 isn't going to be recommended for conduit.
TW90 or RW90 would be best, but I dont know how those are "viewed" when not in conduit (in the attic).

Plus, the attic... super hot ambient temperature in there! So many factors involved!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

And I said 3AWG.

This is in error. The proper size is 1 AWG CU.

You looked in the wrong column...

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
I guess you are using an ECSBPK05?
You would use 6/3 for a 50A circuit, with the caveat that you need to check for voltage drop problems (probably not an issue). You shouldn't use NM cable in outdoor conduit. Use UF cable or individual conductors.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

You looked in the wrong column...

Not arguing, just curious for my own education: Which table & column should I be looking at for this situation?

I'm looking at Table B.310.15(B)(2)(1) over the 90C rating (copper).
But I admit that table wouldn't apply once it's in the attic.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to nunya
nunya, you are correct I have a Siemens ECSBPK05 interlock and a 50 Amp two pole circuit breaker which I have yet to install. I am trying to determine the cost of 6/3 UF with ground in 100 Foot lengths. During my search for UF I found a lot of 50 Amp extension cords from 15 feet to 100 feet long in the Recreational Vehicle section of Amazon.com. The plug and receptacle are the same as a 50 Amp Electric Range cord set. I saw a picture of a 50 Amp inlet using the same kind of plug but I have not been able to find a surface mount weather resistant version. I might decide to install the inlet next to the service entrance panel and use a 50 Amp extension cord to connect the service panel to the 50 Amp receptacle on the generator. I appreciate your advice.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Not arguing, just curious for my own education: Which table & column should I be looking at for this situation?

I'm looking at Table B.310.15(B)(2)(1) over the 90C rating (copper).
But I admit that table wouldn't apply once it's in the attic.

The termination temp needs to be taken into account.

Generally speaking, all ampacities for "NM-type-ish" cables should be done from the 60 degree column.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.