how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BloodDragon

join:2012-11-06
Parkersburg, WV

Residential Vs Commercial account

I recently had internet installed with suddenlink. I have the 107/5Mbps package. I've actually had it one week now. When I log into my account online and view my internet usage it is reporting the last 5 days. I'm currently at 50GB of usage which doesn't surprise me.
I have a gaming PC, an HTPC streaming media, 2 cell phones running voip, and 2 android tablets running on this connection.

The usage limit on my connection is 350GB a month. I could see my self going over that depending on what all I have going on.
I'm not sure what the cost of residential Vs commercial is but could any one tell me if it would be in my better interest to see if I can change my account to commercial?

I'm on a budget and basically use internet for all my entertainment and communication needs.

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
Charging for overages was suspended so you dont have anything to worry about. If they were active, commercial accounts are exempt from them anyways if you chose to go with one though I dont think the 107 package is available for commercial customers.

Gaming doesnt use hardly any bandwidth at all unless it's the initial download, patch, or update.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
reply to BloodDragon
I've been told by reps that if you get a 2nd Internet line you will be exempt from caps. Maybe get a 2nd line with the lowest/cheapest speed, or get 2 50mb connections. It's not ideal or cheap but This is the only way to get around their caps.

Fwiw, I have the 30mb plan and am a pretty heavy user, and have only went over once because of a huge download.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
reply to BloodDragon
The price difference isn't even remotely worth going with a commercial account if that is the only reason, to avoid the cap. Pair that with the fact that their commercial coax offerings are no where near residential speeds in most markets....

anklosaur

join:2003-02-16
Tyler, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to BloodDragon
Last time I checked, the fastest business service offered was 50/8 for $350. They also have 20/5 for $300, 12/2 for $200, 8/1 for $130 and 6/768k for $70.

On the pro side, there are no caps, You can run most any service you want behind your connection, you can have up to 5 static ips and in my experience service response is excellent.

On the other hand, those are pretty high costs.

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to BloodDragon
Frankly, the business class internet has very few advantages over the residential. It is also considered best effort, just like residential, mean the same speed fluctuations and all.

The advertisements are all "Up to ...xxMbps speed."

Compare that to real business class services. T1...1.544Mbps, no more no less. Bundled T1s, any fraction of 1.544Mbps, no more no less...

I've seen T1s for less than Suddenlink's business class service, but the speed is a slow STEADY 1.544Mbps exactly.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by jdmm72:

Frankly, the business class internet has very few advantages over the residential. It is also considered best effort, just like residential, mean the same speed fluctuations and all.

The advertisements are all "Up to ...xxMbps speed."

Compare that to real business class services. T1...1.544Mbps, no more no less. Bundled T1s, any fraction of 1.544Mbps, no more no less...

I've seen T1s for less than Suddenlink's business class service, but the speed is a slow STEADY 1.544Mbps exactly.

Most of those cheaper "T1s" are actually bonded DSL and carry a whole host of caveats.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

jdmm72

Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by Cabal:

Most of those cheaper "T1s" are actually bonded DSL and carry a whole host of caveats.

The ones I looked at had Committed Information Rates (CIRs), meaning guaranteed speed. And bonded DSL is just bonded carriers like any other T1, just not on the normal tele spectrum.

The issue though is the up to xxMbps in business class service from DSL and cable providers. With the T1 lines, you don't get up to xxMbps, you get a multiple/fraction 1.544Mbps stable with an SLA agreement (which are usually in the 99% range).

I know of a bunch of companies who rely on DSL and cable for mission critical services. Ever seen a McDs with a sign saying no credit cards? I have a lot, I used to fix them (they became too cheap now). McDs, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Applebees, Department stores, grocery stores, insurance companies, doctor's offices, etc, etc, etc. When their connections fail, so do their CC machines, database records and everything else.

If I were looking for business class services for $350/month, I'd choose the slow guaranteed T1 over a "superfast" best-effort cable connection any day of the week.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
Being that he has the 107 tier, I'm not sure if he'd be willing to get even half that many T1 lines, LOL!!

jdmm72

Nitro, WV
reply to BloodDragon
Yeah, you are talking multiple DS-3 lines, like 2.5 at about $3-5K a month each. Like $12.5K a month. Could you imagine the possibilities though, very low latency everything, priority traffic over the ISP nets. WOW!!!

BloodDragon

join:2012-11-06
Parkersburg, WV
Thanks for all the replies. I def think I am just going to deal with all the kick up's that my 107Mbps service has, and monitor my self to try and prevent overages once they are enforced!