serge87 to McBane

to McBane

Re: Business Quantum Speeds!!!

Ouch
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Yeah I was hoping they would have put the 150/65 in a lower price bracket and make the 300/65 that high $210 one, instead they just invented a higher bracket for it and put the 150/65 on the old high price point. Oh well guess I'll go with 75/35

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by McBane:

Yeah I was hoping they would have put the 150/65 in a lower price bracket and make the 300/65 that high $210 one, instead they just invented a higher bracket for it and put the 150/65 on the old high price point. Oh well guess I'll go with 75/35

Yeah.. these prices are crap.. I am definitely going to be switching one of my lines from business to residential as one is dynamic. I may even consider doing the other one too as the only reason I have business is to have a static IP and I don't think its worth paying $100/month just for a single static IP.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

The ip.addresses on fios almost never change unless you manually release a lease, and renew it sometime later.I don't see what paying the extra money for really affords you

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by ScrawnyB:

The ip.addresses on fios almost never change unless you manually release a lease, and renew it sometime later.I don't see what paying the extra money for really affords you

Because they do change... Even if its rare.
guyjr
join:1999-08-30
USA

guyjr

Also isn't it against the Residential TOS to run a server on the connection? (even if technically port 80 is open)
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by guyjr:

Also isn't it against the Residential TOS to run a server on the connection? (even if technically port 80 is open)

The TOS is pretty much open-ended, they could decide at any time to cut your line if your usage is high(according to them). How many people actually have the TOS enforced on them?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to guyjr

to guyjr
said by guyjr:

If that comment was directed at houkouonchi, he runs VPN tunnels to his servers. So in that regard, all Verizon can see is encrypted point-to-point traffic, not an open server.

If you were pointing that to someone else, then, um, well.... please disregard.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB
said by ScrawnyB:

I don't see what paying the extra money for really affords you

Because it gives you an IP in a block not automatically banned by the rest of the world as a dynamic address. (a problem if you want to run your own mail server.) It also means some amount of downtime every time your address changes -- a) how long it takes to notice, b) how long it takes to find the new address (hard to do remotely), and then c) how long it takes to update DNS, and that change propagate.

(My office is currently behind a dynamic address. I loath the day TWC changes it and I have the week long argument with IT on the other side of the planet, just to get him to type an address into the checkpoint dashboard.)