how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kmand

join:2002-05-06
Decatur, GA

LTE Compatibility?

Will the T-mobile LTE offering work with any of the current LTE phones?

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

said by kmand:

Probably not. T-Mobile is going direct into LTE-Advanced (true 4G), skipping the lower-ranked LTE being offered by Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

Sprint is going to LTE Advanced in 2013.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to kmand

TM will be on a unique freq for LTE. SO I don't see anyone elses LTE phones working on TM's network. TM has not yet release an LTE phone.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to kmand

Yes quite a few.. For example the iphone 5 on AT&T has 700 and AWS as far as i know, same with the galaxy s3. Canadian providers are selling this same model and using the AWS LTE right now, while AT&T uses the 700. AT&T and the Canadian providers also have HSPA on the same frequencies of 850 and 1900.

I think when Karl talks about them using HSPA 1900 and LTE AWS so that people can bring phones from other providers to T-Mobile, he is talking about phones like the iphone 5 and the galaxy s3 sold on AT&T.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to tcope

Many phones that AT&T sell such as the iphone 5 and galaxy s3 (the two most popular) support HSPA 1900 (because AT&T uses it) and LTE on AWS already (perhaps because Canadian networks use it, and AT&T may use it?). I think that is what Karl means when he says they chose these frequencies to get customers to bring phones.

Ulmo

join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to fuziwuzi

said by fuziwuzi:

said by kmand:

Probably not. T-Mobile is going direct into LTE-Advanced (true 4G), skipping the lower-ranked LTE being offered by Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

It makes sense T-Mobile would utilize a better LTE, since their HSPA+ is often faster than the LTE's provided by Verizon and AT&T, making a switch to their version of LTE somewhat pointless. (I switched from T-Mobile HSPA+ to Verizon LTE due to some shenanigans T-Mobile pulled on me that I wouldn't put up with, and was dismayed to find out that Verizon LTE is much slower than T-Mobile HSPA+ in many circumstances.)