share rss forum feed

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to pcdebb

Re: Gas leaking

Given the pump 'clicked off' and you continued to pump another $2 worth, my bet is you filled it well up into the filler neck and any combination of normal operating scenarios could cause fuel spillage as you have indicated. Over-filling past the point the pump has cut off is generally a bad thing. Generally I only ever do so if it is another 15c or so to an even number (mild OCD here ). Not only does it have the possibility of overflowing and wasting your money, but it can ruin the evap system of the vehicle and cause issues there. This Optima I have had to fill up once when it was nearing $4 a gallon around here and could barely get an extra 30 cents worth before fuel started spilling out on the ground under the car.

At the amount of fuel you had before filling up, does it normally take around $38 to top off the tank?

My personal armchair view: Keep airing out, run the car around a bit to burn off a little extra fuel, go on business as usual if no more leaks or smell. Next fillup, stop when the pump clicks off (this is why I never pre-pay unless I know for 100% certain I am not intending to fill up and just get in a 1/4 or 1/2 tank), see what happens.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by Vchat20:

At the amount of fuel you had before filling up, does it normally take around $38 to top off the tank?

give or take. I was almost to the red area on the gauge but just before I could allow the fuel light to come on
--
| map your city |