join:2002-10-25
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·VoicePulse

Incoming fax to email- Anveo or callcentric?

I am testing out incoming fax pickup from callcentric, but a few incoming faxes have failed on callcentric. I am looking to setup a anveo account to see how their fax comparability does.

Does one have better compatibility than the other when it comes to letting the provider answer the fax and send out an email with pdf?

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

3 edits

Anveo fax tests: standalone fax machine on a POTS line sending to a Canadian toll-free DID.

200x100 ppi:
Tests 1-3) Success! No ECM, but for now I don't consider that a problem because the resulting PDF was visually perfect.

400x400 ppi:
Tests 4-6) Success, but received only the left half of the fax, and the aspect ratio was incorrect. No change if I used T.30 mode or TIF format. I have asked Anveo about this.

I discovered the apparent difference between "Default" and "T.30" settings. With Default, faxes arrived at 14400 bps. With T.30, my machine was forced to send at 9600.

I noticed a curious symptom. Over six tests, there were four additional calls in my CDR exactly 8 seconds in length. The curious part is they did not appear in my fax machine's log so I don't know what happened there. I don't think it's worth it to troubleshoot this and will just ignore it.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to bigpapae35

said by bigpapae35:

I am testing out incoming fax pickup from callcentric, but a few incoming faxes have failed on callcentric. I am looking to setup a anveo account to see how their fax comparability does.

Does one have better compatibility than the other when it comes to letting the provider answer the fax and send out an email with pdf?

I don't think that I would use callcentric since they don't provide support for that feature. It is provided "as-is".

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Despite being provided "as is" - it works much better and had been spent much more time supporting it than many other providers.

The "As Is" disclaimer is there (many years already) only to avoid being actually liable for service being purchased explicitly for fax purpose because [due to its very conservative policies] whatever Callcentric officially declares to be sold for money - it (the Callcentric) considers to be liable for (in means of in-deep support and refunds for not properly connected/completed calls and/or paid transactions).

It's (the disclaimer) also there to deter "pseudo-customers" and/or upset "customers" who may come to this site and report/start bogus threads about Callcentric doing something wrong or not the same way as "other standard based" providers do it. Yes - you know whom I mean.

As most/many people normally report here - the fax to e-mail feature plain works; we've spent close to 6 years of our time developing its functionality and compatibility with many different fax machines and fax-software drivers (as well as with software vendors like Digium).

It's that due to some inherent to Internet natural specifics - the fax over Internet cannot be considered as 100% replicable and always working function (compared to PSTN/POTS line).

But once a customer understands some basic principles behind faxing over the Internet as well as had adjusted/tuned some parameters of their hardware or software - this feature is reported to work as good and stable as most voice calls. For example - for me it works in 95% while delivering 100 page faxes without interruptions. People here have reported their mileage with this function.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to bigpapae35

Just to report my own experience, I use the CallCentric inbound fax server and have had very good success.

I receive faxes pretty much every day, and most of them are multipage.

AFAIK it is rare for one to not come in. On those rare occasions it tends to be specific senders, yet I cannot identify a common theme (partly because there are not many failures).

I do know that CC says that it is better to use a DID for faxing that has come from CallCentric to begin with, rather than porting in a DID for this purpose.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY

Or rather than forwarding some 3-rd party sourced DID... additional SIP URI forwarding add much more intermediary "bad" effects to fax transmission than just 2-legged plan faxing.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
reply to bigpapae35

Well I stand corrected!

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to bigpapae35

Most users have had the incoming CC fax work just fine...

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
reply to bigpapae35

I use CC for both inbound and outbound on a physical device. I don't use the fax to e-mail function as I always ended up printing them anyway.

If you do take this route, notify CC in a ticket that this DID is being used for faxing.

bigpapae35

united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·VoicePulse
reply to bigpapae35

Well, it is true to the effect of 95%, cause I have 29 faxes in my inbox and it looks like only one of my customers is having issues.

This is a verizon pots number I ported into CC, this client faxes me every other day, didn't have an issue on pots.

But on CC, this clients fax just doesnt come through, I tried both of CC's fax modules.

I was going to forward by sip uri to anveo, but from what I just read that will just add another leg to the transmission.

Would asking the customer to reduce their fax speed help?
my customers fax machine is a canon mfc4350

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Planet Earth
kudos:4
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by bigpapae35:

I was going to forward by sip uri to anveo, but from what I just read that will just add another leg to the transmission.

Forwarding is probably not a good solution.

I suggest you purchase a DID on your Anveo account and dedicate it to fax only. Ask your client with the fax issues to fax the Anveo DID and see what happens.
--
My VoIP News

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bigpapae35

A Canon MFC series is in general a very good and robust line (I use them too, both at work and home). The customer may need to play with some settings there. For example - try to NOT use color faxing or G4 faxing. Or configure "international" faxing for this transmission to get through.

You may also try SIP forwarding to Anveo (or as Arne suggested - taking a fax dedicated DID there) - it's not going to hurt, but may bring some interesting result (I'd, for sure, be interested in knowing your experience).

bigpapae35

united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·VoicePulse

3 edits
reply to bigpapae35

I tried the sip uri to anveo, with the same failure. But when I gave them the direct DID for anveo, the fax went through.

I had the customer try every speed setting, 33600, 14400, 9600, 4800, 2400 and none of the faxes go through.

I have a feeling callcentric tries to reinvite to t38 transmission protocol and it fails, cause the client had me on the phone while fax machine was calling and it sounded like it was ringing and then fax tones were going coming in and then a reinvite to t38 was passed and then it failed.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Planet Earth
kudos:4

A customer using Canon Pixma MX350 has successfully sent several faxes to my NY Anveo DID.
--
My VoIP News

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
reply to bigpapae35

Could you try one more experiment, please? - take a NY Free DID from Callcentric and make an experiment similar to Anveo's DID - just assign that Free DID to fax.

Please let me know your results. Thank you.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
reply to bigpapae35

If this is T.38 re-invite/G.711 fallback issue - it can then be disabled on CC's side for your DID. Please PM me your CC's phone number used for faxing. Thank you.

Iscream
Premium
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Okay, the T.38 re-invite had been disabled for your DID when calls are coming from that particular carrier whose calls cannot be properly negotiated upon detecting fax tone.

It's a bit weird situation, but calls from your originating number (the one which had troubles faxing) come to us via SIP rather than from PSTN because that carrier has a SIP interconnection agreement with us. Please let me know whether it works for you now (I've replied to your PM too). Thank you.

bigpapae35

united state

thank you for the changes, I just pm you with feedback.