Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY
reply to AndyD2k

Re: Thinking of getting my own cable tuner & router - questions

Yes the HDHR Prime can stream to multiple PC's simultaneously out of the box. The InfiniTV can do it as well if the host PC is powered on and configured correctly (It must also be running windows 7 as tuner sharing is not yet compatible with windows 8).

I would suggest using a wired gigabit network so that your streams don't affect speeds for the rest of your network. An HD channel can use 20 Mbps (a drop in the bucket when you have 1000, but if you're streaming multiple HD channels on a 100 Mbps network you may not have much bandwidth left for other uses).

If you're getting rid of your Verizon boxes you don't need the actiontec to provide guide data anymore so it can be replaced with any router you choose. If you still want to use your moca adapter I would suggest setting up the actiontec router in bridge mode (see the FAQ at the top of the Fios forum).

billdacat26

@lmco.com

I have a SD-HDHR3 Tuner on my home network...I love it. $3.99 for cable card rental. I also run a Hauppaug 2250 tuner for OTA; this gives me five streams of HD TV. (+1) if you watch a previously recorded program.

Now the bad news;...(it's really not so bad). All my machines now have SSD's for the OS, and the network is on a gigibit switch. I still have the router between my LAN and WAN. The SSD's improved stability in the whole system beyond exptectations; reboots are now once a month as needed for upgrades.

ENJOY....

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY

said by billdacat26 :

I have a SD-HDHR3 Tuner on my home network...I love it. $3.99 for cable card rental. I also run a Hauppaug 2250 tuner for OTA; this gives me five streams of HD TV. (+1) if you watch a previously recorded program.

Now the bad news;...(it's really not so bad). All my machines now have SSD's for the OS, and the network is on a gigibit switch. I still have the router between my LAN and WAN. The SSD's improved stability in the whole system beyond exptectations; reboots are now once a month as needed for upgrades.

ENJOY....

Why bad news? Doesn't sound like there is anything bad?

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY
reply to Cogdis

said by Cogdis:

Yes the HDHR Prime can stream to multiple PC's simultaneously out of the box. The InfiniTV can do it as well if the host PC is powered on and configured correctly (It must also be running windows 7 as tuner sharing is not yet compatible with windows 8).

The HDHR Prime doesn't have the same issue as the InfiniTV with Windows 8 right? Or does it?

I'm thinking of upgrading my WHS 2011 NAS to Windows 8 as I think the start screen will be a good launcher on a big screen

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

The HDHR is good to go with windows 8.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

I've looked at using windows media center 8, but am unsure that I'd be able to live with the user interface for TV.. It just doesn't feel like a normal DVR or TIVO.

What are other folks opinions? Did you acclimate to it quickly? Do you like it more?

billdacat26

@lmco.com

The HTPC (W7) has my "Wife's seal of approval". Before installing SSD's, the HTPC user interface (WMC) was a little slow and clunky; maybe it was bloat-ware.

My main HTPC is a quad core AMD w/8GB; my secondary machines are Pentinums e5800's; all have 1TB HD's and 128GB SSD's. The WMC user interface is fast and responsive. Mixing OS and recording TV on an HD chews into user interface performance.