spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

khol

@cogentco.com

to buy modem-router combo or separate devices?

Hi,
I am switching to TekSavvy DSL 6 very soon. Is it a good idea to buy a modem-router combo or buy two different devices (one for modem and one for router) setting? I have more than one computer to connect to the Internet.
thanks

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
Personally I'd go with a dedicated modem which leaves you to choose from many routers that will also work with other networks someday.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to khol
It really depends on your preference.

Some people prefer the all in one device for simpler operation, less cable clutter, less power used vs modem & separate router, etc...

But for troubleshooting purposes, its better to have separate devices. You can always re-use the stand alone router if you ever switch to Cable internet, or there are routers with a lot of nice features as well as custom firmware available to fit advanced users needs... Typically the "modem" part in an all in one device is fine, but the "router" part is usually quite basic, and if you care about wireless speed & range, the wireless in these units is usually sub par.
--

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
said by HiVolt:

It really depends on your preference.

Some people prefer the all in one device for simpler operation, less cable clutter, less power used vs modem & separate router, etc...

But for troubleshooting purposes, its better to have separate devices. You can always re-use the stand alone router if you ever switch to Cable internet, or there are routers with a lot of nice features as well as custom firmware available to fit advanced users needs... Typically the "modem" part in an all in one device is fine, but the "router" part is usually quite basic, and if you care about wireless speed & range, the wireless in these units is usually sub par.

I agree... for a 6 meg connection for basic use - do up a TP-Link all in one. Robust enough and pretty solid.

anything above a 6 meg dsl line i would separate the two devices, a modem for strict DSL connectivity in "bridge mode" and a separate device and resources for your routing etc.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Unlocked 2wire all in one works well too.

khol

@cogentco.com
reply to khol
I found TP-Link modems at low cost: one is only modem (model TD-8616) and another one modem-router (Model TD-8816). Any one with any experience on these models and whether one is preferred over another?