share rss forum feed

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
reply to Ken

Re: Gas lines and DIY

Sadly, there is a smoldering pile of debris about 75 miles southwest of you that underscores the the damage a gas leak can do.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

That was on my mind on Sunday when I was working on it. It's actually a miracle that the barn never blew up at some point in the past. It smelled so strong in there, but it didn't occur to me that it was a gas leak.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

When it comes to things like that, unless I'm supremely confident about my abilities, I stay away from DIY where there are possible safety consequences. A poor cope cut never killed anyone.
--
Awesome. More handouts, food stamps, welfare and entitlements to come. I'm so proud.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

Sadly, there is a smoldering pile of debris about 75 miles southwest of you that underscores the the damage a gas leak can do.

This tragedy made the news up here. The pictures from the scene are truly shocking. When having a look around one of the local television station's website, I found this video....

»www.wishtv.com/dpp/video/video-h···-damages

At first click, I thought it was something from the AHJ but it wasn't a few seconds that I realized it was some home inspector. While he doesn't seem to grasp how a thermocouple works on a gas valve, it was curious that he mentioned CSST, made a few points known about physical damage and held up a sample while speaking. It was almost as if he wanted to comment on the more serious problems with CSST but stopped short.
--
Zach

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

When it comes to things like that, unless I'm supremely confident about my abilities, I stay away from DIY where there are possible safety consequences. A poor cope cut never killed anyone.

Same here. Electrical and propane work I always sub out to the pros. I research and come up with solution ideas, but when the rubber hits the road, I know when I don't know and call in reputable pros to get the job done right.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by SwedishRider:

said by Badonkadonk:

Same here. Electrical and propane work I always sub out to the pros. I research and come up with solution ideas, but when the rubber hits the road, I know when I don't know and call in reputable pros to get the job done right.

Yeah, there are just some things I don't want to take chances on, especially with a family.
--
Awesome. More handouts, food stamps, welfare and entitlements to come. I'm so proud.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Zach1

Someone needs to send this link to Mythbusters.
They did an episode on whether a building can blow up from a gas leak (based on a Jason Bourne movie) and they couldn't replicate an explosion.

They need to revisit the myth because that building obviously blew up!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by alkizmo:

They did an episode on whether a building can blow up from a gas leak (based on a Jason Bourne movie) and they couldn't replicate an explosion.

I don't think it's a myth that a building can blow up due to a gas leak. There's evidence in Indy, and with that in the news around here (120m north of Indy), a lot of people know of smaller explosions where friends or relatives were injured. DSLR even featured one that's about 10 miles away from Ken's current location. The myth is how the explosion happens, and the damage it causes.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

anyone from montreal should be aware of this one!!
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaSalle_He···Disaster

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

I don't think it's a myth that a building can blow up due to a gas leak. There's evidence in Indy, and with that in the news around here (120m north of Indy), a lot of people know of smaller explosions where friends or relatives were injured. DSLR even featured one that's about 10 miles away from Ken's current location. The myth is how the explosion happens, and the damage it causes.

Cause not determined for explosion

quote:
"It is still an investigation so we're very limited on the information we can give out," said Gary Coons, the chief of the Indianapolis division of the Department of Homeland Security. "We're looking at everything -- all causes, all possibilities. There's a lot of possibilities out there. ... There's a lot of possibilities that could trigger an explosion like this."

Authorities said they had launched a probe into the explosion, but cautioned they might not know the cause for days.

"You're talking days -- it could be weeks," Capt. Rita Burris, spokeswoman for the Indianapolis Fire Department, told ABC News. "They're going over the scene and processing evidence. It's still in the investigation stage."

Sarah Holsapple, a spokeswoman for Citizens Energy, said that no gas leaks had been found and that other lines were being tested. She said, however, that she did not know how long the testing would take.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

said by SwedishRider:

said by Badonkadonk:

Yeah, there are just some things I don't want to take chances on, especially with a family.

Ditto!

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

No amount of Mythbuster gas explosion failures will convince me gas won't explode a building. Back some 40 years ago in the one blinking stop light town in Manitoba where I'm from, there was a small barbershop just across the football field from the high school. One Saturday, in the wee hours of the morning, it went KABOOM. What started as a brick-faced, concrete block building was reduced to a basement with few steel beams remaining. The remainder was sprinkled all over town with the bulk landing in the football field.

Fast forward a few eons, after a couple of decades of being in the local volunteer fire company, I've seen my fair share of gas versus building along with creative homeowner repair failures. One of the most notable was a call on a very cold early morning for a structure fire. When we rolled up the fire was out but, what was a two-story farm house was now a 1.25 story house. The wife/mother was standing, dazed and confused, out in the -20*F cold wearing nothing but a nightgown. She stated that she turned on a stove burner to make coffee and saw a bright flash, heard a loud boom and was instantly in the back yard. Amazingly, she was unhurt other than some scorched hair. In each of the upstairs bedrooms we found the husband and teen-aged son. Both were laying on the floor beside the bed. Above each bed was a body impression in the ceiling. They were both seriously injured but survived.

If Mythbusters failed, they must have done it wrong.
--
Zach

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Hum... go watch that episode again since they did blow up the house but only reached that by increasing the amount of gas in the house.

They only failed to do it like in the movie.

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state

said by XoX:

said by alkizmo:

Hum... go watch that episode again since they did blow up the house but only reached that by increasing the amount of gas in the house.

They only failed to do it like in the movie.

That episode was based in the movie where the guys shoots (i forget which gun) through a carton of milk which supposedly prevents the explosion. They proved that its not the milk, but the gun doesn't produce enough spark.

It wasn't until they changed from Natural gas to Hydrogen Gas could they get an ignition if I am not mistaken.

Gas will ignite with the RIGHT ignition source/temp and gas/air mix.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by XPAMD:

That episode was based in the movie where the guys shoots (i forget which gun) through a carton of milk which supposedly prevents the explosion. They proved that its not the milk, but the gun doesn't produce enough spark.

It wasn't until they changed from Natural gas to Hydrogen Gas could they get an ignition if I am not mistaken.

Gas will ignite with the RIGHT ignition source/temp and gas/air mix.

/Facepalm

Yes I remember now!
They also tried to start an explosion by putting a magazine in a toaster.

They weren't actually trying to make an impressive explosion.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

Same with me. I won't touch anything gas related and I'll only do electrical stuff that doesn't involve touching the panel. If I need to touch the panel I have a licensed professional do it.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Yeah, the electric panel gives me the willies.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Zach1

Click for full size
said by Zach1:

If Mythbusters failed, they must have done it wrong.

Here's someone that did it right:
»www.washingtonpost.com/local/poo···ory.html
--
Four more years of cronyism, payoffs, bad energy policy and 60's radicals being in charge. Thanks for ruining our country.