how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ColdScottTea

join:2012-11-12
Huntington Beach, CA

Networking Option #2. Secondary DMZ Help

1. I believe networking option 2 is the best for me. I have a coaxial hookup from ONT in one room in the house (not my room) and ethernet in none. Re-wiring would be a nightmare, and the actiontec just won't cut it. I have a nice wireless router (ASUS RT-66U) and would like to use that. I use wireless for everything, but care most about gaming via XBOX 360; connection and speed are very important to me. Will option 2 provide what I need even with the small NAT table and double NAT issues?

2. I'm having trouble with the following, "User router must be configured for a different subnet than the Actiontec. The WAN port on the user router must also be set to use either a static IP address on the Actiontec subnet, or obtain its WAN address via DHCP."

What should I change the subnet to?

Thank you,

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

If the Actiontec is handing out 192.168.1.x (default LAN subnet), then set the Asus LAN to 192.168.0.x

ColdScottTea

Huntington Beach, CA

Thanks a lot birdfeedr. I got that working, but I decided to go with networking option #5. double bridge to avoid double NAT and small NAT table issues. I just created a new post about that and would appreciate your input.

»Networking Option #5 - Double Bridge part 2 help

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

If you have a GEN3 (rev. I) Actiontec, then the NAT table is not an issue.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

ColdScottTea

Huntington Beach, CA

I've got the REV E