share rss forum feed

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

3 Day Weekend Adventures

On Saturday, I go into the laundry room and step into a puddle. Uh oh. Washing machine is leaking from an unknown source. Nothing on the outside, that's for sure. Not the discharge or the hoses for the hot/cold water.

I rip into the thing and can't find where it's leaking. Possibly the water "dispenser" that lives over the tub but who knows. Put it in the garage next to the other one that died 5 years ago. Why did that one die? Who knows.

Forget about washer for a bit, head over to a buddy and help him run some CAT5e for his modem since he has to give up his office to help a gal in need. I masterfully crimp both ends without issue in record time. We commiserate over a Deschutes Black Butte XXIV.

Sunday rolls around, church then football. Later in the evening it becomes apparent the wife and I need to discuss our broken. I don't work on Monday so what to do? We decide I can go shopping and pick some out and send pictures to the wife to approve.

Monday morning I wake up and get a burr in my saddle to try and fix the long since passed washer still sitting in the garage. It didn't agitate or spin. Sister-in-law had a spare so I didn't put much (read: any) effort into fixing it. Less effort spent in throwing it away. I can fix this some day.... I google. Apparently this same problem happens to everyone. Pull it apart. There's yer problem.

Call Sears parts. "We can have it shipped." No thanks! Call the local appliance joint: "I need a coupler for my--" "We have it. Just come get one." Get the kids packed up in the car and off we go.

Stop by Lowe's on the way back with the part (can't be this easy, can it?). Find a Bosch 18V drill on sale for $99 down from $169 and snap it up. Get some more stuff to maybe fix a couple doors that keep getting pulled off their hinges.

Get home. Kids get lunch, I get busy. Put the thing back together. Go to put the agitator back in. Where's the plastic piece with that spring on it? Uh oh. 15 minutes later it's over by the beer fridge. Let's put the molding on it. Wait, why do I have these screws? Uh oh. Take the case back off, install screws holding motor back on. Repeat cursing at stupid sheet metal and my T-Rex sized arms.

Much frustration later, I get the thing lifted up the 10" step from the laundry room to the garage. Kids still not hurt. Good. Get the hoses back on. Discharge hose is too short to install with out being behind the damn thing. Climb like a monkey and wedge myself back there. Got it! Push unit back into the recess and start the water. Woo! Looking great.

It's spinning! Yes! Wait, why is there water on the floor? Uh oh. Flashlight comes back out. It's not too much... get the shop vac. Water keeps coming. Why? The thing's off... oh, the discharge hose clamp came loose and it's spilling from there. More jungle gym antics and it's back on. Completes a full cycle and I'm done.

Now onto those doors... Wait, where's that screw? Uh oh

Yeah, that was a wall of text. If you enjoyed it, great. I'm waiting for the glue to set on the dowels I tapped in so I took a break and got some food.

Tl;dr: Washing machine broke. Fixed other washing machine that broke half a decade ago for $27 instead of spending two grand on a new set.

Anyone else have some adventures over the weekend they want to share?
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
Your washing machine thing?
I lived it a few months ago, on a 3 day weekend as well
»Direct drive washing machine - Gear is trashed

Anyway....

This weekend...

Fixed leaky kitchen faucet. It needed a new cartridge (maybe) so I just tossed the whole thing away since i had no warranty and got a new one.

Then I repaired my car's vacuum leak that was long overdue.

My father has a noisy toilet due to a faulty valve, I replaced the assembly.

I re-cleaned my lawn from dead leaves.

I fixed one computer that didn't want to boot up at all (shorted PSU).

I tested my new sump pump after pouring a new concrete base a month ago (yay it all worked out!).

I drank 1.14L of Vodka over the 3 day weekend and I lost my Remembrance day poppy 3 times over the week so I had to donate 4 times!

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to drew
Next weekend you can figure out what those things called leveler legs are meant for.

Congrats on the fix.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to drew
said by drew:

Anyone else have some adventures over the weekend they want to share?

No, but my washing machine has been leaking from a plastic fitting near the tub outlet, for a few months. Only leaks on warm or hot loads. Haven't gotten around to pulling the top off to see if it's just a loose clamp or if the hose or fitting is cracked.

I put an old pair of jeans on the floor to sop up the spillage. Everyone is happy for the time being, but one of these days I'm going to actually fix it.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to drew
Nothing this weekend other than finally replacing a smoke detector. After it went off at 3:00AM and would not shut up, I ripped it off the ceiling after failing to figure out half asleep how it snapped in. Picked up new and it sat on stair railing to remind me to put it up.

A few weeks ago, my kitchen appliances ganged up on me. Fridge door just wouldn't shut evenly. Noticed it was sagging, lifted it up and heard the bottom go "crunch". Bottom of door rusted out. Ok, hold door up when open. Did get some water dripping inside from condensation. A few days later water dripping from soffit outside garage. Figured fridge pan cracked or something. Found another fridge on CL.

BTW, the heater in the door died a few years ago so was getting condensation in door.

Slid old fridge out to find everything dry. Hmm, nearest is dishwasher. Pull toe plate and find split solenoid. Came with an elbow fitting; must have been over-tightened at factory.

$8 for solenoid and $40 for a used fridge. Fridge in garage for now as it is f'ing huge side-by-side. Upside is I have ice/water in the door. 22 years of making ice in trays; nice! Old fridge was made in '85; came with house.

The real cost will be I need an oscillating tool to cut the trim below the cabinet above the fridge so it will fit.

Got my first electric bill, dropped about $15. I had noticed old fridge was running every time I came in kitchen.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
So that was a how many beer fix? hehh

ahh beer.. the universal repair lubricant

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to drew
We have the same machine.

The previous top loader I had the same drive coupler break. Replaced it without having to take the whole damn thing apart IIRC. The tranny seized years later and we bought a used front loader. That thing was a moldy turd so we sold it to a used appliance shop and got the same top loader as you. Few months in the tranny broke on it and they fixed under their warranty.

Now the damn thing has started to make a wicked loud CLUNK when it stops from the spin cycle and jumps and moves like 6 inches. Pissing me off as I can't figure out why. It's not out of level.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
It's the clutch, probably.

»fixitnow.com/wp/2010/07/07/diagn···-washer/
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to drew
It was cold today, but the sun came out later so I went out and strolled about, looking at the shops.

Didn't really see anything I liked, so I didn't buy anything.

On the way home, I posted a letter. Been quite a nice day.

Somebody exploded an H-bomb today...but it wasn't anyone I know.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

1 edit
reply to drew
Click for full size
Dryer cord
Click for full size
Terminal Block
While it wasn't this past weekend (we don't get a 3 day weekend) it was 2 weekends ago.

Brother moves into a new home and the previous owners left a nice LG front load washer/dryer pair. The owners said that the dryer sparks a little bit when plugged in.

Thinking the spark is at the plug and one of those normal, "appliance has been off a bit and the capacitors on the circuit board wants juice" sparks, I turn it around and notice a hole in the plate that you take off to attach the driver plug cord to the machine. Apparently either the previous owner or installer wired a 4 wire plug using the instructions for a 3 wire plug. The pictures are the result.

Ordered a new harness with 2 day shipping for 91 bucks, spent 3 hours tearing it apart and running the new harness, found 11 cents in the bottom of the dryer, and it works as if it were brand new.

You will also notice that whoever installed it, felt like matching colors wasn't for them (not that it truly matters but just my OCD)

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
The sparkys will love this story.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to drew
said by drew:

Call Sears parts.

FYI: The original coupler had round holes and round prongs on the 2 plastic coupler parts, as mine didn't last 2 years. Then the original design was changed to the current style with the flat sided prongs/holes. It's about 20years old now, and still going after a new drain pump & top lid switch.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to drew
said by Hahausuck:

Now the damn thing has started to make a wicked loud CLUNK when it stops from the spin cycle and jumps and moves like 6 inches. Pissing me off as I can't figure out why. It's not out of level.

We have the same machine here too. Be bought/inherited it from my wife's grandparents. It occasionally makes the loud clunking noise.

It's good to see that parts are available still for these machines, because I just know ours is going to break soon, and we can't afford a new one.

My weekend project was to finally install the peephole in our front door. I think the 9/16" drill bit cost more than the peephole assembly.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit
reply to drew
said by drew:

It's the clutch, probably.

»fixitnow.com/wp/2010/07/07/diagn···-washer/

What would be the cause of the washing machine not spinning when draining water, yet if I open the lid and close it again, it will start spinning.

Note - It does this in mid-cycle only. It always will successfully spin by itself at the very end (otherwise the clothes would be soaking wet when finished).

edit - I just googled "washing machine doesn't spin unless I open close lid". Surprisingly from such a long search string, i got tons of relevent results. The answer is: Replace timer. Will do!

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
My new found expertise says lid switch - if it's going bad...

You can "jumper" it to test, but that's up to you.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
If it was the lid switch, it wouldn't allow the washing machine to continue the rest of the cycles.

But I edited my post above, turns out it's a common problem and the defective part is the timer. It needs to do a "pause" for the clutch to get out of neutral. Maybe my timer is defective over the mid-cycle.

When the wife and kids go on their trip for a month, I'll take apart the washing machine to find the replacement part. Right now that machine is running 2 times a day, so I can't put it out of commission for a couple of days

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to drew
The coupler on my now-dead Kenmore washer would break every 4 1/2 years. For 3 1/2 of those years, the thing would rattle like crazy, and it would frequently spin while it drained.

Machine finally seized up for good earlier this year and we junked it. Good riddance, having it break 5 times in 15 years.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Bob4:

The coupler on my now-dead Kenmore washer would break every 4 1/2 years. For 3 1/2 of those years, the thing would rattle like crazy, and it would frequently spin while it drained.

Machine finally seized up for good earlier this year and we junked it. Good riddance, having it break 5 times in 15 years.

Sounds like you were overfilling it, so the gear would break from the pressure. Eventually the motor died because it was overworked for too long.

Or, the tub was giving a lot of resistance when being spun due to some other defect, causing the strain on the coupler and motor.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Or it's a crappy design.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to drew
I had my washing machine issues last month...

Wife says the washing machine is making a grinding banging crunching noise, won't agitate. I should have, but I didn't think about trying to turn the dial to drain cycle to pump the water out, I just pulled the garden hose in the door and siphoned out the water. I figured the transmission was probably gone. Don't have time to mess with the whole transmission right now.

I checked on Craigslist and found a listing for a SET of washer&dryer. I don't need both, but the owners are moving and want them gone. OK, fine, I'll take them.
Got the washer swapped out. It works OK. Seems to be smaller than the one we were using. Oh, well. It washes clothes.

Less than a week goes by and I see another listing for giving away a washer. Says it has problems. Same model as my old one, series 80 instead of series 70. Parts might interchange...

I finally get time to mess with the Kenmore washers. Try to take the back off like I used to do with the old Maytag. There is an AWFUL lot of pieces attached to the back panel. Check on internet to see how am I supposed to check under the hood. Simple. A couple of screws under an easy panel on the front and the whole case comes off.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K1KHEogf3c

The washer with 'problems' overflows if you stop it during a cycle. Start it again and it fills more and runs water onto the floor. I figured it was probably a bad water level sensor. I found the little hose that goes up from the wash basket to the water level sensor was cracked. If you stop the cycle, it has time for the (little tiny bit of) pressure (inches of water column) in the hose to leak out and the sensor thinks it needs more water. That was sure simple.

I looked at the other machine. Found one of the plastic pieces of the coupler was broken. That was simple fix too.

Now I have two extra washing machines and a dryer. I'll pass a set on.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by ttiiggy:

Now I have two extra washing machines and a dryer. I'll pass a set on.

I bet you could easily find a needy home for them and it's close enough to Christmas for you to play Santa.

brian
Premium
Lake Forest, CA
reply to drew
Guess what just broke? Yep, our (same model) washer has decided to make a horrible noise instead of spin. Agitation is weak as well.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
Sorry, but LOL. These things seem well made, don't they?

Is it the top agitator or the bottom agitator? I'm absolutely confident you can fix it.

brian
Premium
Lake Forest, CA
I'm sure I could, but the wife decided she wanted to buy a new set. The dryer also has issues spewing lint all over the place. So after a quick trip HD and Best Buy, we settled on a non-matching Samsung set. The dryer is styled to match a front load washer but has features my wife wanted, and the washer is a higher capacity top load.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!